squirrel invasion!!!

tanktop74

Does anyone know of someone that can the squirrels out of my attic.

I though we had got them all out and patched up the holes that they got in, but NO! They are fighting in my attic again! (wife) (flame)

They have already chewed my phone line to my kitchen, I can only imagine what else they are destroying up there! And they are making this awful high pitch sqeeking noise that is driving my dogs nuts!

If ya know anyone or have any suggestions I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Beth

Does anyone know of someone that can the squirrels out of my attic.

I though we had got them all out and patched up the holes that they got in, but NO! They are fighting in my attic again! (wife) (flame)

They have already chewed my phone line to my kitchen, I can only imagine what else they are destroying up there! And they are making this awful high pitch sqeeking noise that is driving my dogs nuts!

If ya know anyone or have any suggestions I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Beth

Can you say mating.(scary) Warm dry attic. They love you!!!

make sure you get this fixed soon! I'm an electrician and we do at least a handful of homes every year that have destroyed wires from squirels. they will chew right through them and all of a sudden things will stop working. One house even got hit bad enough all the wiring in the attic just about got replaced when we were all done. I am talking several thousand in damage if they hit you good so watch out.

There are Havahart live animal traps, granular repellents like Shake-away http://www.nextag.com/natural-squirrel-repellent/compare-html ,

There are electronic devices I have a battery operated mole repellent stake that works great for 9,000 sq.ft. I'm sure there are similar electronic devices for squirrels. See what is available at Wilco. http://www.wilco.coop/Divisions/Farm_Stores/

Please do not use poison. It could be very bad for a neighbors dog or cat that found a dead or dying squirrel.

Cats have been used for many years to keep rat and mice under control. Getting one for squirrels might work!

Costal farm and ranch over by me has humane traps, get one or two of them and a small bowl of sunflower seeds. ( unsalted of course) Ya should be able to catch them one or two at a time. I would also find where they are getting in and close it off and either trap them in so they go to the trap or it will block them from getting in if they are out.

JManrow,

THanks for the info. I will look in to the squirrel repelants and electronic devices. Dont worry, i would never poison them, they are cute, just not in my attic and I also dont want to endanger my dogs!

Thanks for the info!!

Beth

There are Havahart live animal traps' date=' granular repellents like Shake-away [url']http://www.nextag.com/natural-squirrel-repellent/compare-html[/url] ,

There are electronic devices I have a battery operated mole repellent stake that works great for 9,000 sq.ft. I'm sure there are similar electronic devices for squirrels. See what is available at Wilco. http://www.wilco.coop/Divisions/Farm_Stores/

Please do not use poison. It could be very bad for a neighbors dog or cat that found a dead or dying squirrel.

Cats have been used for many years to keep rat and mice under control. Getting one for squirrels might work!

Alright since Pest management is my realm I need to give you some advise.

Unfortunately there are no electronic repellents that would eliminate your home of pests. No matter what the ad's say. Trust me if they worked we would use them!

Snake away active's are

Napthalene 7.0% and Sulfur 28.0% this technique can on occasion work if you get enough material were the animals are nesting, however it is a short term solution at best and I do not recommend the use of chemical applications for a short term solution.

Moth balls have the active Naphthalene and Paradichlorobenzene are very similar and I have known of people who have tried to use them in the same manner. Again before looking into this route read about Napthalene

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/ccl/pdfs/reg_determine1/support_cc1_naphthalene_healtheffects.pdf

The simple and best solution is to locate all points of entry and to seal them out. We use a one way valve when we can to allow animals to exit but not reenter. Also do the exclusion at the right time of day like noon to increase your chances of catching the animals already out of the home feeding. If by chance you do trap them in the attic use live traps clackamas fish and game loans them out for free. At least they loan out raccoon size traps I have never asked about squirrel traps, but its worth a call.

But don't be fooled if you do poor exclusion they we chew right through it and reenter the attic and they are not easy to catch in live traps as some other animals are. If you cannot live trap them you may need to employ rat sized snap trap as a last resort and only use them in the attic to prevent non target animals from coming into contact with the traps.

Just don't waste your money on noise makers or visual deterrents they just don't work.

Think hard before using chemicals like snake away and or moth balls in your environment too. Good luck!

Just my .02