Ryans 120G Peninsula Build

R-3

Well it didnt take long being without a big tank to get another one. I picked Jase's old 120 today and I am gonna setup it up Peninsula style. I am gonna use the existing canopy for now but I plan on redoing the stand. At a whopping 24" tall its just a little to short for me. I still wanna do it out of plywood like the canopy though. I also want to repaint the canopy but dont know what color yet.

As far as equipment goes Im gonna use a pair of Maxi-Jet Sureflow 1600's and a modded Tunze 6025 for flow. I will be running a Genx-2400 or something like that for the return. Im not sure about lighting yet. It kinda depends what deal jumps out at me. I probably will lean to T5's but who knows. Im leaning towards a Octopus Extreme 200 for a skimmer. I will also run Phosban and Carbon through two different TLF reactors.

All I really need to buy is a skimmer and lights so I should be able to get this going real quick once I build the stand. I can even use my Octo 300 if I can fit it in my sump :)

Heres some pics of the tank , stand and canopy in place. As you can see it would work well for viewing by a midget but anyone over I think 4' tall needs more :)

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peninsula tanks are like getting 2 tanks in one. I'm sold. I kinda like the white or off white. It look clean. There are just a lot of black stands around.

I may have some extra Advance programT5 ballasts. I still need to find some reasonable endcaps?

Well here are some updates:

Between working at the coast all week (stayin there too) and family stuff I managed today to get the stand at least framed. Im still deciding on what I wanna do for the "skinning" of it. You can also see the old stand next to it.

The build was pretty simple with 2x4's and a 1/2" sheet of CDX for the bottom sump tray area. Its right at kitchen countertop heigth at 36" tall. It should give me plenty of room underneath while still letting me get my hands almost all the way to the bottom without a stool. I hope to get the skin done somtime during the week since I wont be staying every night on the coast this week! Here are some pics.

DSC08620.JPG

DSC08621.JPG

DSC08622.JPG

I dont know yet Steve.

Im not sure even if I wanna paint it or stain it yet. I saw Charles used a wainescoating type stuff that looked kinda cool but I am open to suggestions really. Im not sure if I wanna paint it or stain it yet either.

nice framing. what do you have in lumber cost so far, if you dont mind me asking?(whistle)

i posted on RC and asked what people used to paint/stain, and someone suggested black boat paint, for like the old fashion wooden sail boats... and then my plan was to clear coat over top to better seal it up. dont know what i am using for sheeting either...

do you plan to trim this stand? are you going "fancy" or "modern"? are you building a canopy too?

much better hight. looks good so far.

Thanks man!

nice framing. what do you have in lumber cost so far, if you dont mind me asking?(whistle)

i posted on RC and asked what people used to paint/stain, and someone suggested black boat paint, for like the old fashion wooden sail boats... and then my plan was to clear coat over top to better seal it up. dont know what i am using for sheeting either...

do you plan to trim this stand? are you going "fancy" or "modern"? are you building a canopy too?

Um I think $10 in 2x4's I bought 6 10's. I had the plywood laying around so it was free.

I am gonna do some trimwork but I prefer to keep stuff more simple. Im really not a fan of ornate stuff.

Im not sure about the canopy yet. It depends what light setup I go with.

Very nice looking thus far. Much better height than before. I am loving it!

Garrett

I know what would look really good above it......an Aquamedic light fixture (whistle)

Yeah there is a good marine black paint that alot of people have used, ( name slips my mind). If you go with the staining route you can use a marine grade varish instead of laquer. You should be able to get it at most Miller Paints, Sherman Williams, etc.

Ryan - hows it going? What ever happened to the big envision tank with the T5's?

I ended up sidelining that. I wanted glass really. Also I needed the money to buy Garretts old prop setup. Im gonna use the T5's on it to. I hopefully have both tanks up and running by the end of the month, hopefully :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well my job at the coast is finished so I have a couple days off to finally get some stuff done! I worked on the stand today and put the first coat of paint on it. I also painted the back and the overflow on the tank black. I framed the doors and got them sanded down. Tomorrow Im gonna put another coat on the stand and prime the doors.

I painted the stand white inside and for the exterior I chose a paint color called "Black Magic". I figured as superstitious as I am my corals will grow twice as fast :) Im gonna used some cherry end pieces that are leftover from some cabinet jobs we have done for the inner door panels and for the endcaps. I thought I would do something different by painting some but also have some wood grain.

IMG_0626.JPGIMG_0624.JPG