Epic Propagation System...Well Compactly Epic!

ThePremiumAquarium

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still' date=' 6 tanks broken is only $60, lol. i agree that 10gal are very fragile, and that 20gal would have been better. then you get up into the 3/16" thick range. i think my 72 will end up being my prop tank, not so fancy, but will work. i really like the way you do things, very professional.[/quote']

I agree. Garrett seems very wise when it comes to this stuff.

You guys make me blush lol.

Water is flowing!!!

Here is the right side bottom level. Behind the tanks you can see teh drain pipe for them. Was a bit worried about flow but seems to be working like a charm!

P4130302.jpg

Here is a veiw of the right side that shows how the top tanks drain into the lower level and then the lower level into a 1.5" drain down into the sump. Saves energy while allowing gravity to have some fun.

P4130298.jpg

Corner shot of the two sides coming together:

P4130296.jpg

Right side:

P4130295.jpg

Its hard to get a good shot of the left side, but here is a shot from behind the prop systems pirate and his ship.

P4130296.jpg

I still need to replace 1 of the 10g tanks that is on the left side but so far all is running smooth and I am excited to get to the next step. I decided to go with a couple more 20l after a few of the 10g tanks broke so my tank total will be 18 instead of the original 22. 4x 20l 14x 10g. I actually think I like this better though it was a bit more expensive and reduced the volume by about 30g or so. Total system volume is at 320g if completely full not accounting for tank water level decreases due to drilling and not counting plumbing volume and a few other things like sump running at half or full capacity. I decided not to paint the back of the tanks black. I really like the look of black backed tanks as I think it helps reduce unwanted algae as well as makes the corals stand out but I like to be able to see easily behind the tanks and that just happened to win over my vote. My dad was all excited that he could see the back front and sides of all of the tanks on the right side so I knew that I couldn't paint those without some sad faces.

Tomorrow I will add salt to the system and dry sand. I also will wire in the temp controller and heaters and get the system up to reef ready temperature. I might also get some of the lighting in place and may pick up a few small pieces of rock.

Garrett

Looks great, Garrett!

So are you just using the returns as flow for all of the tanks? Are you still just using the 1 snapper?

That is exactly what I am doing. There are 10 return nozzles that each have ball valves on them. They allow for individual tank flow control. The top tanks then drain down to the second set of tanks which has been pretty cool to watch. I am suprised at how well it is working. I figured my logic would run into a few snags but so far not a problem. Power heads may have to be used in some of the higher flow demand tanks but I am not sure yet as they seem to have pretty decent water movement. The 1 snapper is all that is running them and it seems to be doing well. More flow is always nice but for now this will definately do the trick.

The snapper pumps water through my chiller and then into the system so it has about 6 feet of total lift with gravity helping a bit in a couple of areas.

The system now has salt, heat, and sand! I used Hawaiian live black sand in one of the 10g, Philippines sand in one of the 20g breeders, course live sand with some shell matter in 2 of the 10g and 1-2mil Caribbean live sand in the rest of the tanks that I am having sand in.

Salinity is checking out at 1.025 which is where I think I will keep it for the time being. The water is a bit cloudy from adding the live sand so I will wait to take picks until it clears up. Should be clear by morning.

Taking a trip up north to grab some rock, a few small reef fish and a few tester inverts tomorrow. I am pumped to get something moving around in the tanks!

Garrett

Did a bit of shopping today for the system. The tanks now have a few "beginner" fish in them to help kick start the cycle a bit. Also picked up some amazing live rock. Lots of little critters and some macro algae on a few pieces. Very good looking purple stuff. Got a few of the critters for my CUC and will add more as the system progresses. Tomorrow I will probably get some lighting up though I am waiting on bulbs and a fixture to arrive so I will only be able to get the VHO lighting up on the top level.

Coralreefaquarist helped me decide what to put in which tank today. We had some good discussions while on our trip in Portland and he got some sweet corals I am sure he will post soon! Thanks for coming with!

I ran out of time to take any pics tonight, but things are looking alright and going to plan. Once lighting is up I imagine things will look alot better and I will be more apt to take some pictures.

Garrett

LOL I guess pics will have to wait until Monday. I have a business trip this weekend and forgot to snap a few shots before I left tonight. I got the VHO lighting up and it looks awesome. Nothing that I purchased yesterday is dead and everything seemed to be really healthing and out and about.

I picked up some zoas yesterday. All of them look nice and once I put light on them, opened up nicely.

Sorry for the photo delays lol.

Garrett

Today I finally got the skimmer online. I had to grab some tubing for the drain or it would have been on earlier. I added a second sump. I may use it for rock or for a larger fish or two if I ever have to be an emergency home. May be a good spot for extra live rock aswell. Waiting on MH bulbs, and need to pick up a couple of 6ft VHO actinics but other than that the system is doing really well.

Did a 75g water change last night just as a precaution though everything looked great.

Here are some pics from tonight:

Added 50g second sump/large tank:

P4200303.jpg

P4200304.jpg

Some tanks with a few rocks and such:

P4200315.jpg

P4200316.jpg

Skimmer having fun right after I finally turned it on:

P4200317.jpg

A few zoas/palys(need a couple of actinic bulbs to show their real color. These guys will be beautiful!):

P4200322.jpg

P4200396.jpg

P4200397.jpg

P4200399.jpg

Some starter algaes:

P4200326.jpg

3 of the 4 different sands that I am trying:

P4200331.jpg

P4200335.jpg

A few random shots of critters and some awesome live rock I picked up. This stuff is crazy full of life:

P4200329.jpg

P4200390.jpg

P4200341.jpg

P4200345.jpg

P4200423.jpg

P4200425.jpg

P4200352.jpg

P4200414.jpg

Got a blue and red pistol shrimp. Each have their own gobies. Here is one:

P4200386.jpg

This guys is so cool. I have had these guys before but this one is just crazy happy. Electric flame scallop:

P4200354.jpg

P4200436.jpg