Bulb Return-What's your opinion?

downhill_biker

I purchased 2x 250w 12k DE bulbs from ______________________ seller, on ebay. I am choosing not to release their name at this point. I recieved the bulbs very quickly, but one bulb was broken. Emailed them and they sent out a new bulb, plus a free one....and gave me a phone call to discuss the issue. The bulbs showed up and one was broken, one was working.

I put them in my fixture and they wouldn't fire properly. I knew it was probably my ballast, since they were odyssea. So I went and bought a Galaxy Dual 250w electronic ballast. I fired up the bulbs and they were different colors. So I switched sides and same thing. Bulbs were different colors. I emailed them and told them I would be waiting a couple weeks to let them burn-in, in hopes that they would even out.

bulbs002-3.jpg

I emailed the person again, and he once again sent me another bulb, I told him the others broke and he should take some extra precaution when packaging. I got the bulb, BROKEN...It was shipped in the same flat rate box with a piece of newspaper wrapped around the bulb box.

brokenbulb001.jpg

I went to post office, and they said that it was improperly packaged, and even if it had been insured it wouldn't be covered due to the bad packaging. I emailed the guy again, and he said my post office had something against me.

brokenbulb003.jpg

Then he made a price list of what he had sent me, 2 bulbs + shipping, 2 bulbs + shipping, 1 bulb + shipping. He told me he has sent me so much money's worth of effort....and nothing else. I emailed back and asked if I could return, and he hasn't emailed back. He was always good at returning emails same day, but now it has been almost a week, plus I called his company and left a message on the machine.

Am I wrong in wanting a refund? I just feel like I should get the product I ordered. The broken bulbs have nothing to do with me. I am only worried about the 2 different colored bulbs. I have never done this before, but can't I do a chargeback? Is this in order?

If I were in your boat I would request a product that was shipped to me in one piece, not broken. If this guy can't figure out how to package something for shipping then it should be his responsibility to get you a working product, no matter what his cost is in doing so. If you paid with Visa you can start a dispute on this also, I have done this in the past with fairly good results.

You must either get a refund or get your product as purchased for the sake of keeping ebay and other online markets up to par with our local shops. It is your right to get what you paid for. Now I know that on ebay that is a really grey issue, but if this guy is running a store and selling brand new products, it would seem that he should definately get his shipping techniques figured out. I have shipped literally thousands of packages to buyers all over the world and I have less than a 1% damaged product rate and I am shipping live goods most of the time!

If you have to, do a chargeback. I understand where he is coming from as a seller, but there is no reason that his shipments should be taking such damage. He is simply incorrectly packaging them and as a result will have to pay the price.

Garrett

You must either get a refund or get your product as purchased for the sake of keeping ebay and other online markets up to par with our local shops. It is your right to get what you paid for. Now I know that on ebay that is a really grey issue, but if this guy is running a store and selling brand new products, it would seem that he should definately get his shipping techniques figured out. I have shipped literally thousands of packages to buyers all over the world and I have less than a 1% damaged product rate and I am shipping live goods most of the time!

If you have to, do a chargeback. I understand where he is coming from as a seller, but there is no reason that his shipments should be taking such damage. He is simply incorrectly packaging them and as a result will have to pay the price.

Garrett

He keeps telling me that he has "less than 1% break" as well. He tells me that "I" have had more bad bulbs and broken bulbs than he has had in the entire existence of his company. I feel like that is not important, I should get what I paid for....BOTTOM LINE.

Whatever your going to try. Do it now. Bulbs should have the same par when firing up. NEVER seen different temps on 2 new bulbs that where supposed to be the same. And the reason you didn't buy local????????????????????? I can guess the reason, but was it worth this pain? Good luck

I'd guess the same reason I sometimes choose to go online - cost. Sure the LFS needs to put food in their mouths' date=' but so do we.[/quote']

It's a sore subjest with me. From all the hassle he is going through as told. I cannot see where anything was saved. Even if the charge is reversed, there still is the need to get new bulbs. No communication with a vender that seems to have inferior products, will NEVER have a face to face with. There just isn't that much of a markup on most product's in this hobby. I really would like to ask IF a LSF was asked on pricinng on 2 bulbs, what the difference was.

It's a sore subjest with me. From all the hassle he is going through as told. I cannot see where anything was saved. Even if the charge is reversed' date=' there still is the need to get new bulbs. No communication with a vender that seems to have inferior products, will NEVER have a face to face with. There just isn't that much of a markup on most product's in this hobby. I really would like to ask IF a LSF was asked on pricinng on 2 bulbs, what the difference was.[/quote']

If the purchase was from who I think it might be, then I'm guessing the monetary savings were around 50% in this case. That's significant - and if I remember correctly - the OP is currently out of work, so any savings are good savings.

well here is the difference in COST, yes that is the key point in this case:

2x bulbs on ebay-$44.99

2x bulbs at LFS-$220.00

the best my lfs could do was $110 a bulb, i just couldn't do it.

online stores such as marinedepot or fosterandsmith

about $70-80 a bulb

i have already purchased a new set of phoenix 14k bulbs from someone on reefcentral for $100 shipped.

still didn't go local on this one. i tried as much as i could, but there just isn't a comparison. oh, BTW i have been unemployed for 2 months now, so money is tight. i posted in the classifieds for used bulbs, new bulbs, ect. but nobody responded.

Now that we have that issue all figured out, do you agree that I am justified in the return, or chargeback if so needed? I would have bought local, but after talking with the owner, he told me to purchase them online. Even if he tried to price match hellolights.com on the phoenix 14k bulbs, he couldn't have done it, and i would have had to wait and return to the store. BTW, they are about $60 a piece on there. My LFS knows I am a smart shopper, and will support him whenever I can, but on things like salt and bulbs, which I can buy cheaper than he can, I just have to go there.

And yes' date=' Jeff, you are 99.9$ right about who I purchased the bulbs from. How are yours working out? Still like them?[/quote']

Yeah - I still really like mine. The corals are all growing quite nicely, but I have noticed the bulbs seem a little dimmer than they were initially. But overall, the colors are great and growth is good.

I get the feeling I know who you are talking about too. I have had great luck with mine thus far and I think I am on roughly 6 bulbs ordered since I started ordering from them. I have to say though, I get much better color and brightness out of my xm's though for the price difference I completely understand why you ordered through this guy. Heck I have done the same. I just dont order from him when I am really going for the display look, but for frag tanks and algaes, they work great!

Get your money back and order from the other guy on ebay or buy from a local fish store after saving a few. Seem like something is wrong with the way this business is shipping. Otherwise there wouldn't be an issue. Oh and he probably sent you two different spectrums of bulbs. I have gotten a bulb or two that was mismarked and ended up being a defferent spectrum.

Garrett

ok, so im guessing you paid with paypal. Now, there are several thing you can do. first, if you used a credit card that is linked to your paypal account, then call your credit card company up and tell them you didn't get the items as described and the seller won't return your emails and that you want to reverse the charges. if you had money sent from your bank to your paypal account, then you will have to file a buyer dispute with paypal.

If you paid with a credit card and they reverse the charges, you dont even have to deal with paypal. paypal will actually tell the seller there is nothing they can do about it. In that case you will probably wind up with the money and the bulbs in the end, as the credit card company doesn't require you to send back the item and neither does paypal. Its kind of a loop hole with paypal.

I used to sell thousands of items on ebay and there are a couple of loop holes in there system. also was there a tracking number on your package?

hope this helps,

Peace

What brand of bulbs are they? Keep in mind when you are comparing prices to compare the same item to the same item. That is really cheap. None of the manufactures I do business with has anything that cheap.

I agree. They are different bulbs. I was just showing the price difference of what was available to me both online and in LFS. I did however, post that the phoenix 14k on hellolights.com is $59 and still is $110 in LFS.

And the bulbs are 1st hand bulbs. Don't know the manufacturer, these are unlabeled, except they all say 250w DE 12000K

thanks everyone. i will start the process asap. thanks again. i tried to let them fix it several times, but it just isn't working out. i bought the bulbs on 8/26/08 for goodness sakes. he has had about 5 weeks to try and get it right, and i have been very patient. i wish it would have worked out, but didn't.

Your shopping the wrong LFS. I dont have any bulbs at or over $100.

"Ebay The Garbage Gateway" (TM waves marine jk)

No really, a lot of those bulbs they sell on ebay as "reef bulbs" are just plain ol halides they want to pawn as something worth something. For that matter you might as well call Grainger or something instead.

Also, I dont know about all stores in town, but most will work something out that is fair for both parties if you ask. Less headache, less ebay garbage, and more support for local business.

Your shopping the wrong LFS. I dont have any bulbs at or over $100.

"Ebay The Garbage Gateway" (TM waves marine jk)

No really, a lot of those bulbs they sell on ebay as "reef bulbs" are just plain ol halides they want to pawn as something worth something. For that matter you might as well call Grainger or something instead.

Also, I dont know about all stores in town, but most will work something out that is fair for both parties if you ask. Less headache, less ebay garbage, and more support for local business.

LOL. that is freaking funny. "The Garbage Gateway".

I went into the LFS and asked about the phoenix 14k bulbs and he said $120, I said, for both bulbs? He wanted $120 each. Plus I would have to wait for shipping anyways. He said he would work with me on the price, but only got down to $110-100 or something per bulb. That was at one fish store.

The other LFS here couldn't even find the phoenix 14k on their price list. They said that it wasn't available to them.

The other LFS, well, I don't like going there because the guy is very pushy and makes me, along with everyone else I know, uncomfortable. I just don't do much shopping there. I go in once in a while to see if he has any cool corals, but other than that, I steer clear.

Yeah $120 a bulb? Man those Eugene stores are really gouging ya. I dont think I have ever seen a bulb at a store for that much ever. I agree with Joel that most of those bulbs sold on Flea-Bay are just junk pawned off. Just remember no matter how cheap you get them there are always making a profit :) Good luck with whatever you decide. Later Ryan