Seeking Advice on Starting a New Reef Tank - Best Beginner Corals?

marcelloslas

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and excited to start my first reef tank !! I have done some research but could really use some advice from the experts here. I am planning to set up a 40-gallon tank and want to make sure I start off on the right foot.

I want to ask some questions to the community::-

What are some good beginner corals that are hardy but still visually appealing: ??
Any tips on maintaining water parameters for a smaller tank like this: ?? I have read that stability is key, but any pointers would be appreciated.
I am also looking into stocking ideas thinking of adding a pair of clownfish and maybe a goby. Does this sound okay for a tank this size: ??

I am open to any advice or suggestions.., especially if there are any pitfalls to avoid as a beginner. I have also searched on the forum for any thread related to my query and I found this thread https://www.pnwmas.org/forums/topic/47133-need-opinion-on-new-tank-flutter/ but couldn't get any help.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts !!

Thanks in advance for your help !!

With Regards,

Marcelo Salas

• Like 3

Hi Marcelo,

Welcome to the forum!

If you can make it to a club meeting you can get all of your questions answered by experienced aquarists. Our next meeting is this Sunday in Wilsonville.

Good beginner corals are green star polyps, toadstools (sarcophyton), and Zooanthids.

I would recommend getting an all in one system if you are new. This way you don't have to decide what equipment to get along with the tank.

Innovative Marine, Waterbox, and Red Sea make some good all in one systems that size.

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 2

On 10/24/2024 at 2:06 AM, marcelloslas said:

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and excited to start my first reef tank !! I have done some research but could really use some advice from the experts here. I am planning to set up a 40-gallon tank and want to make sure I start off on the right foot.

I want to ask some questions to the community::-

What are some good beginner corals that are hardy but still visually appealing: ??
Any tips on maintaining water parameters for a smaller tank like this: ?? I have read that stability is key, but any pointers would be appreciated.
I am also looking into stocking ideas thinking of adding a pair of clownfish and maybe a goby. Does this sound okay for a tank this size: ??

I am open to any advice or suggestions.., especially if there are any pitfalls to avoid as a beginner. I have also searched on the forum for any thread related to my query and I found this thread https://www.pnwmas.org/forums/topic/47133-need-opinion-on-new-tank-flutter/ but couldn't get any help.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts !!

Thanks in advance for your help !!

With Regards,

Marcelo Salas

Hey Marcelo, and welcome! I'm pretty new to saltwater, and have some good beginner corals. Nephthea leather, but most leathers seem pretty forgiving. Florida ricordea mushroom is doing well. My candy cane is super fun and happy. And, my favorite coral I have is an ultra acan lord. This little guy came to me with 2 polyps, 3 weeks ago, and already has 4 teeny tiny polyps coming out of the side. It loves eating pellets, mysis and reef roids. Please be very careful feeding reef roids, a little goes a long way, and I had to learn that the hard way. Wait on anemones, euphyllia, and sps. That's pretty much the extent of my personal experience as a noob...

I wish you the very best! 

Ben

• Like 1