Hi Folks!

san

Hey Everyone, I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself. I went to the meeting at Upscales last weekend, thank you Alan for your advice with my birds nest's tissue necrosis, and dosing info, and Travis for hosting and answering my questions. 

I've been dabbling in freshwater tanks since I was a kid, but recently got into Saltwater. I'm maintaining two marine tanks; a 5-gallon long hosting some interesting inverts and a UNS 90L, 21-gallon-long with an AquaMaxx HF-M HOB filter/refugium/skimmer; stocked as a mixed LPS/SPS reef tank. It's circulated with a Hygger Wavemaker paired with a cheap Amazon counterflow powerhead, two NewPsyche K7 V3 LED lights, an ATO, and a 4-head Simplicity doser feeding Red Sea Foundation to maintain chemistry. I'm already dreaming of upgrading to something around a 100 gallons so I can stock more, but need to find an appropriate space my Wife will approve of, as well as prove to myself I can keep the 21 gallon stable and healthy without too much stress for a while before I go too much deeper.

IMG_6636.jpg

• Like 1

Nice looking tank! How do you like the 36 x 12ish dimensions of the tank? With some stability those corals will fill in the tank in no time! Are you doing regular water changes? Any goals in addition to stability with the tank?

Welcome to the group!  If you can keep a handle on those smaller tanks, going bigger will actually be easier in many respects than what you have now.

On 7/23/2024 at 9:49 AM, LavenderTi said:

Nice looking tank! How do you like the 36 x 12ish dimensions of the tank? With some stability those corals will fill in the tank in no time! Are you doing regular water changes? Any goals in addition to stability with the tank?

Thank you! I love the tank dimensions. I find that the length gives you more layout options than a similarly sized cube or rectangle tank. You sacrifice some vertical space for length which gives room to setup more zones where different creatures or corals can colonize away from others. Roughly I put the Euphyllia on the far left rock away from others, my SPS in the middle up close to the lights and in the strongest flow, below them the "flower garden" with Zoa's, alveopora, and clove polyps, then softies and mushrooms on the far right. 

I expect it'll get crowded as things grow, but I'll just have to start fragging early. My Kenya Tree already split into three, the Shaggy Pipe Organ has overgrown it's plug and the Zoa's are making new polyps, it's amazing to watch it thrive!

I'm doing weekly testing sometimes more as needed, with up to 25% water changes, sometimes less if my levels are good. And as for goals, number 1, I want to keep things healthy, number 2 I want to grow stuff out and start sharing frags, and third, once the thank gets too crowded, would be the excuse to get a bigger tank! 🙂

On 7/23/2024 at 10:21 AM, Krux said:

Welcome to the group!  If you can keep a handle on those smaller tanks, going bigger will actually be easier in many respects than what you have now.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping, I wanted a challenge.