New Grow Out?

• 6 months later...
On 1/12/2024 at 11:07 AM, Brittany said:

I really enjoyed the grow out.  Any suggestions for another?  I know it’s work…I can help with organizing.   

Still interested in organizing one? Should we go for it this fall?

I'm doing one with Battlecorals right now. They've done quite a few, so we could borrow some of their methods.

The big questions are what are people interested in growing out? and where could we source enough frags of the same colony?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zach0225 said:

We could use one of these group buy colonies from the vendors at the monthly meetings?
We used to do them all the time back in 2012 and they were so fun. 

For those, me included, that weren't around then how did the club do them?

Whoever organized it would typically judge, everyone picked up frags same time, initial measurements were taken and that was the start point. 

then measurements were taken bi-weekly to monthly (1st and 15th let’s say) 

if your measurement wasn’t in on time disqualification (some grace period is allowed say 1-2 days because well life happens) then at the end of whatever the grow outs time frame was whoever has the most growth is the winner and prize is given or bragging rights. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 1:52 PM, LavenderTi said:

For those, me included, that weren't around then how did the club do them?

I haven't done a club grow out for quite a while, but I do the Battlecorals events all the time.  First post here is similar to most events I have seen run. 

The last one I remember participating in was run by @CuttleFishandCoral maybe Jeff has some insight on what went into it from the shop side.

Next time we have an event in the shop, it may be easiest to turn one of the group buy options in to a grow out competition at the same time, support the store and add in some competition 😛

Edited by Krux

I’m willing to organize/judge this.  I really enjoyed the pink Cadillac that @reefrun @obrien.david.j did.   Mine didn’t grow during the contest, but looks great now.

lets do it this fall.  I want an aqua-cultured colony:  let’s ask around.  I think I can put this together.  

what kind of prize are we looking for?

thid is my Pink Cadillac now.

image.jpg

• Like 4