AI Hydra26HD Lens/Diode Burnout

shaywood

Hello,  I've been using 3 Hydra 26HDs for approx 5 years now.  I've noticed that some of the individual diode lens have burnt through and turned brown/black.  Is this normal?  Can you tell whether the actual diode's are burned out? Would this be caused by water on the outside of the lens, or something inside? If it's just the lens, can I replace them? See pics:

IMG_20210410_105234.jpg

IMG_20210410_110418.jpg

IMG_20210410_111612.jpg

Edited by shaywood

This is a common problem with acrylic lenses and UV spectrum LEDs. The UV that's emitted from the LED will eventually break down the plastic lense similarly to leaving a piece of plastic out in the full sun, eventually it will start breaking down. The diode itself most likely is not damaged, depending on the manufacture or the LED chip and the quality.

1 hour ago, shaywood said:

Anyone know what size star screwdriver is needed and where to buy?

I want to say I read somewhere on FB to email them and they'll send you a new lens, worth a shot. It's a known issue, lots of people post about it in the AI group. I believe they issued a SW update that lowers the max power of those LEDs so it doesn't burn the lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1