Very bad night.

Derbird

Tonight my heart is broken.  I bought a larger heater a while back to get ready for cooler weather.

Come home today to a cold tank with angry corals.  Freaking out I reach in to see what's up and zap.  The heater has exploded in the sump.  Large water change and some clean up done.

So far I have lost my cleaner shrimp and my clown I have had for over ten years is gasping on the sand.  I have seen no sign of my royal gramma.  Corals and inverts are not looking great.

I don't even know what to think right now....

• Sad 7

I had the same thing happen. Corals were really upset and didn’t look better after a day or two. I pulled everything into a QT tank and ran Triton Detox (left most of the rock in DT). After a few weeks put everything back and all was good again. Not sure what is in the heaters but feared it was heavy metals since other levels were ok.

sometimes this hobby can really hit below the belt for no reason at all 😞 good luck with the recovery.