Need Nano Cube 28 Gallon Protein Skimmer

Snappy

My current protein skimmer just died and I am needing a new one. In retrospect, the one I had been using (that came with the used tank setup) was sub-par. It's low efficiency rate was the likely culprit of my continuous algae problems. My tank is a Nano Cube 28g and has a small space for a skimmer. I would prefer it to go in the built in overflow in the back, but could possibly hang one on the back. I would prefer if either way it didn't stick up higher that the aquarium top. I would prefer to have the most effective skimmer possible, but cost is an issue. That being said, I know the skimmer is the biggest part of the aquarium maintenance and am prepared to spend more on this than anything but the lighting. Any recommendations on a good skimmer would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Snappy said:

so you have a couple used skimmers youre selling in albany? Did you recently take down a tank or what makes these good skimmers vacant? Sorry for the redundancy, I'm still fairly new to the forum though

Yes I am located in Albany Oregon. Buyers of the tanks didnt wanna spend the difference to buy the tanks with the skimmers.

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

To be fair, its hard to tell sometimes 😃 

😜

I'm not opposed to buying used. I'm diligently researching online to get reviews for the best skimmer, but often find the best and worst skimmer lists often contain the same skimmers. I have a 28 nano cube all in one reef with a fairly heavy bio load (many hard and soft corals, 4 anthias) and smaller compartment in the back. Im ready to get whatever the best skimmer is that can fit in it. Either of you have experience getting either one of your bigger skimmers into a cube (as opposed to sump or on back?)

The compartment that the previous skimmer was in is just under 3x2.7 inches. If i keep the extra pump out of the far left compartment, I think its closer to 3.35x2.7 inches.  A little hard to be sure as the lip is a little more narrow than the rest. I may attempt to get more precise measurements tomorrow if necessary.

Also, has anyone tried a Tunze? Costs $150 online, but could be considered an investment in long term tank care  as space confines me to my 28 gallon setup. The surface skimming sounds helpful, if it functions

Thanks for the offers so quick. Nice to get some feedback

In looking, thats really not much room for a good skimmer. Probably why they had a $20 skimmer stock when I bought the used tank setup. It never did work well though, just an off colored clear. Not dark or thick skimmate at all. Perhaps I need to go with hang on back HOB for ample/extreme cleaning?