Feather dusters, whats the secret?

EMeyer

Over the past two years I've killed quite a few worms trying to figure out the secret. I've ordered from 3 different vendors; I've put them in two different tanks; I've tried a range of foods from homemade seafood smoothie to live phytoplankton or newly hatched brine shrimp.

To be clear, the animals I am talking about are the large feather duster worms (Sabellastarte or Bispira ) like these

https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productlist.asp?did=2&cid=297

I've never seen one live more than a couple weeks, and often its only a few days. They died in tanks supporting zoas, SPS, a thriving christmas tree worm "rock" (porites), and even cuttlefish. So its not a complete failure of water chemistry or something.

Fortunately theyre not terribly expensive or intelligent so I dont mind experimenting a bit more, but havent had any promising results so far. Any feather duster worm experts here? Anyone have advice?

Thanks!

Edited by EMeyer

They can only eat a certain size of suspended particles and some people spot feed. I did not need to as usually I had them in smaller tanks where they were heavily fed. I would supplement with foods like oyster feast and phytofeast.

Also sometimes they don't mix with shrimp because shrimp can aggressively take the food away.

I just got a couple at the meeting last week and they are not looking too healthy at this point.  I lowered them to a point where the

flow is much less and the light is not as intense.  Hope that helps them open up more fully.   In the past I have found them to be

fun to watch as part of the tank  and they have been really healthy and open.

Thats OK, sea urchins are banned from my display tanks anyway. When I want random destruction of corals and aquascape I can always stick my hand in the tank to do some cleaning. :)

Shrimp are also excluded from one of the tanks by virtue of being irresistible to cuttlefish. 

I also have read they are size-selective filter feeders but neither dried or live phytoplankton products have made a difference for me. I do continue to feed live phyto several times a week because I believe the christmas tree worms eat it. 

One thing that is common to both tanks is hermits, but I've never witnessed them messing with feather dusters.

(Only crazy idea I can think of: I've seen bristleworms go absolutely bananas over them. I know the common theory is bristleworms can only eat detritus. Since I've witnessed bristleworms attacking and eating live shrimp on multiple occasions, I dont find it far fetched that after they finish pulling off the crown of the feather duster (seen this several times) they could finish it off. But thats a fringe theory, I'm hoping its something simpler like food!)

5 hours ago, EMeyer said:

Thats OK, sea urchins are banned from my display tanks anyway. When I want random destruction of corals and aquascape I can always stick my hand in the tank to do some cleaning. :)

Shrimp are also excluded from one of the tanks by virtue of being irresistible to cuttlefish. 

I also have read they are size-selective filter feeders but neither dried or live phytoplankton products have made a difference for me. I do continue to feed live phyto several times a week because I believe the christmas tree worms eat it. 

One thing that is common to both tanks is hermits, but I've never witnessed them messing with feather dusters.

(Only crazy idea I can think of: I've seen bristleworms go absolutely bananas over them. I know the common theory is bristleworms can only eat detritus. Since I've witnessed bristleworms attacking and eating live shrimp on multiple occasions, I dont find it far fetched that after they finish pulling off the crown of the feather duster (seen this several times) they could finish it off. But thats a fringe theory, I'm hoping its something simpler like food!)

I knew there was a reason I didn't like bristle worms... besides the fact that they creep me out of course.