Interesting Idea to Aerate...

TheClark

Latest PH chart.  

Last night was a bust, airline tubing was kinked.  Going to run 8 hours today starting now to try and 'make up' for the missed aeration time.

I have very find bubbles but not sure they could be called microbubbles...

Bubbles are supposed to go for 8 hours per night in DT, on left WP-60

No changes that I can detect, good or bad but I think it only ran one day before kinking.  That black airline tubing from petco.. no good!

EvGT74J.png

Concluding this experiment.  Sharing for what it's worth...

Results:

- No PH impact detectable, if anything PH decreased slightly.

- Water clarity improved (visual inspection, had no way to measure)

- No damage to powerhead that I can tell.

- No negative coral impacts.

- Possible positive impact to corals, they look decent but again hard to measure

Notes:

There is allot of talk how nano bubbles are important.  I have an airline straight into a powerhead today.  It does chop the bubbles up pretty fine but does not meet OP intentions.

Will repeat experiment with limewood airstone down the road.

Well that's it, thanks for watching...

Concluding this experiment. Sharing for what it's worth...

Results:

- No PH impact detectable, if anything PH decreased slightly.

- Water clarity improved (visual inspection, had no way to measure)

- No damage to powerhead that I can tell.

- No negative coral impacts.

- Possible positive impact to corals, they look decent but again hard to measure

Notes:

There is allot of talk how nano bubbles are important. I have an airline straight into a powerhead today. It does chop the bubbles up pretty fine but does not meet OP intentions.

Will repeat experiment with limewood airstone down the road.

Well that's it, thanks for watching...

Thanks for filling us all in on this info. I have been running my CO2 line into my freshwater canister filters for years. I remember people talking about potential issues with the impeller due to injecting gas. I never saw anything conclusive, but like I said, I have always done it that way.

Thanks man, good to know.  

Hey, possibly related...  I did read that if you get overzealous with the amount of air, cavitation can be a problem and cause impeller wear.  Guessing you were not running much CO2, and I purposely tried to run light on the air...

The facebook that this was originally posted on has blown up.  Lots of good info besides what I am putting out here.   

Interesting, Paletta is going to use this technique...  The nice part of that is, we will get a writeup!  He is also trying out some crazy looking leds with rgb diodes...

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/01/16/and-now-for-something-completely-different/

In addition to this skimmer, the tank will also have nano bubbles introduced into it every night as perfected by Elegant Corals (Cruz Arias). For those of you unfamiliar with this concept it is rather new method to help reduce nutrient build up using tiny micro-nano sized bubbles of air to kind of make the entire tank a sort of protein skimmer. This process was introduced in Japan and is being used there to clean up Tokyo Harbor and first introduced to the reefing hobby publically by Cruz Arias mid last year. For more information I have included a few links that summarize this methodology. Link 1Link 2Link 3.