Stuck between a square and a rectangle

fishmanmike01

Almost a year ago exactly I pulled the plugs on my system due to a forced move from a very dishonest landlord. Fortunately if was all for the best as it drove me to finally take the plunge and purchase my first home. As with any new home comes the desire to improve this, and update that, and yes dear, whatever you want. Lol. This has kept me from starting a new system. However, even with all the work to be done, the itch is starting to become too great and I'm feeling the need to scratch it. The new home does not offer a whole lot of equitable real estate so I am somewhat limited. After having my last system plumbed through-wall into the garage and loving the benefits of it, I am leaning toward doing this again, but this time it will be an in-wall build.

Here's the dilemma, I love the looks of a cube. I'm leaning toward a 36" x 36" or possibly even 48" x 48". However recently I've been offered a nice 210gal 6' x 24", for the whopping price of free!

That being said, lets hear the pro's and con's, especially from you cube owners. Here is a photo of the wall to be molested.

IMG_4295_zpsc15b1493.jpg

• Like 2

It is a load bearing wall' date=' so figuring out how to frame the corner open is another challange.[/quote']

I'm definitely not an expert but what about using a piece of angle iron that wraps around the corner of the tank and is bolted up top and bottom? I know you would lose a bit of viewing in the corner but if it was powder coated it might look nicer.

I'm definitely not an expert but what about using a piece of angle iron that wraps around the corner of the tank and is bolted up top and bottom? I know you would lose a bit of viewing in the corner but if it was powder coated it might look nicer.

Iteresting idea. At three foot Im pretty sure I could just kingstud the opening at either end and be just fine. At 4 foot and start to get concerned. Any architects on the forum?

It is a load bearing wall' date=' so figuring out how to frame the corner open is another challange.[/quote']

You can cantilever a beam to get the opening you need if its not a long overhang. 24" or so. You will need an engineer to calculate the beam.

Looking at your picture, I would not attempt to open that corner. I have been remodeling homes for the last 20 years and I would be checking what plumbing, hvac, and wiring is in that corner before deciding anything. Once you get the permit for the beam, other inspectors will be called to check any wiring, or other needed changes covered by code. You don't want that trouble. It will be a big cost item and unless done professionally will reduce the integrity of the home. How about a small corner column as suggested above. It can be quite small if made from steel. I

Rectangle only offers 1 side of viewing. IMO 2 is always better than 1.

Well I guess I don't understand what it is that you're wanting to do. For me "in wall" means the tank sits flush with your wall. If your tank is flush with the wall regardless wether its a cube or a rectangle you can only view one pane. Unless you want to be able to go around to the other side and view it from the side. That means you'll see the other room from the "viewing" room as well. A rectangle would give you more viewing space. For in wall I think depth is most important to allow for a deep aquascape.

You can cantilever a beam to get the opening you need if its not a long overhang. 24" or so. You will need an engineer to calculate the beam.

Looking at your picture, I would not attempt to open that corner. I have been remodeling homes for the last 20 years and I would be checking what plumbing, hvac, and wiring is in that corner before deciding anything. Once you get the permit for the beam, other inspectors will be called to check any wiring, or other needed changes covered by code. You don't want that trouble. It will be a big cost item and unless done professionally will reduce the integrity of the home. How about a small corner column as suggested above. It can be quite small if made from steel. I

I appreciate the thoughts, however I would never pay for permits to do something such as opening up a wall. A room addition yes, this.. no. As far as MEP there is nothing in the wall other than 1 electrical switch which I could move easily. I myself have more than 25 years in construction and have knowledge with all aspects. The brace suggestion does sound like a good safety measure and I may possibly get stuck with something like that. I'm trying to track down the original building plans. The home was built by Holt and I'm fearing they are out of Buisness.

Thanks for all the input guys. After many nights of discussion, the wife and I have decided to set up the 210. The thought of the cube is my motivation, however home improvements is the wife's. And y'all know what they say, happy wife, happy life. So to appease my itch and continue to work on the house I will be spending the next 6 mo or so gathering equipment, cycling all my dry rock, and building one big [language filter] tank. I'm pretty excited!