What went wrong?

Jeramy

It all happend so fast I am not sure what went wrong. I got a new six line wrasse over the weekend. The fish was very healthy and active. No signs of illness or stress at the fish store. Brought here home aclimated her to the tank realy slowly. When first introduced to the tank she took to it right away activley swiming around hunting pods aggressively accepting what ever food I put in the tank an very Happy and well adjusted fish. Fast forward to tuesday morning when I went to check on the tank I noticed that she was covered in little white spots every where lots of them. This is the only fish I have ever had no other fish with ich have ever been in the system. I decide not to over react and to let things run there coarse. She was still very active and eating. Yesterday when I checked in the morning she was looking much better only had one or to white spots on her and was still active and eating , I thought things were going to be ok ....

This morning when I got up she had no more white spots on her, however her lips were swollen and puffy her color was very light and she was barley swimming she did not eat any thing or even seem to notice there was food in the tank. When I came home at lunch to check on her she was dead =(

I agree it sounds like more than ich. Personally I find the critical time with new fish is the first 2 to 4 weeks where they can be well appearing and then suddenly go downhill because of disease.

Questions to ask from where you bought the fish:

Do they use copper in their holding tank? Copper is contraversial some stores use copper other do not. If they use copper you have to worry that the fish will look fine in the holding tank but when you take it home the ich shows up. Copper long term is also a toxic to the fish.

How long has the seller had the fish? Some places have a huge turnover of fish and do not give the fish a chance to acclimate. So they go to the wild, to the wholesaler, to the fish store to your tank in a short span which is a lot of stress to a fish and makes it more prone to illness and less likely to survive in your tank.

The other thing you have to watch for is cyanide caught fish. This still happens and often the fish will appear fine and then weeks later just go downhill for no apparent reason. It's not something you can really test for. More difficult to catch fish are more likely to be caught in this manner and wrasses would be one of them. Again I'm not saying this is the case and not being critical of the fish store you bought it from. These are just things to think about.

Sometimes even in the best of situations we are keeping wild animals in an artificial environment so it's not surprising some do not make it given all the stressors we put them through. That's the advantage to buying tank raised species as they tend to be hardier. (I can't remember the last time I lost an ocellaris except from jumping out of the tank). That's also the advantage of buying fish that have been in someone's tank for a while.

"Estimates suggest 70 to 90% of aquarium fish exported from the Philippines are caught with cyanide"

(wikipedia)

I'm thinking about how hard dit is to catch a fish out of my 60 gallon cube....I can't even imagine how hard it would be in a real reef. I have to think that based on economic necessity of the region and practical techniques that it's a very popular method.

Maybe I should go with no fish I just wonder how the soft corals would do if there were no fish in the sytem. My tank is just under three months old, 14 gal its a new tank never used copper or any medications in it I bought the fish from the premium aquarium so I dont question the quality of the holding tanks I dont think they use copper in their system as they are all connected togather and cyanide well I dont know. Does any one know now that I have had ich in my tank do I need to wait sixe weeks befor adding any thing else to the system fish corals crabs snails and such? Kinda bums me out that my first fish was loss. Not off to a very good start.

Archived