Reefnjunkie's 400 gallon inwall

reefnjunkie

Brad you have a black spot angle!!!! Want to pair her up??? I have a big female with streamers who is looking for a good home. :) I have to get her out of hypo first. Do you have a male too???

P.S. she is free for you I just want her to have a good home. :)

EDIT: on closer inspection it looks like yours is already turning male, that is going to be one amazing fish when the stripes come in all the way. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been so lax in keeping this updated-DOH!

Lets do a fast update-

Took off the VHO- a few months ago, I have not used them for at least 6 months and I dismantled the fixture that housed the VHO's along with the 2 heatsinks each of which has 72-3 watt crees

Then at almost the same time I attempted the QT set up for the flat worm treatment I added a bio pellet reactor-This casued some serious red turf algae to grow, but on a positive note the pin cushion urchins love turf algae, coraline etc. I ended up adding 2 pincusions and 4 tuxedos-awesome creatures

Rescaped the tank during the fata worm debacle ( this was after the bio pellet addition)

I built 2 new LED units each having 24 LEDs which puts me at a total now of 304-3 watt crees, but I am running mine at 600mA so its the equivelant of 1.8 watts ~

Took off the 2 straight returns that fed the tank. The return had been fed into two loc lines, now I have the returns going through 2 1" sea swirls. I'm not sure why I never hooked them up initially, they have been sitting in my garage for over a year and I bought them for this build-(such an idiot)

and 3 days ago I added a DIY sulpher denitrator.

My next project is to plumb into the system one last frag tank that I got from Grassi and then I think I am going to add the Avast DIY skimmer scraper or whatever its called, It cleans the skimmer's collection cup so the skimmer runs more efficiently

Well thats about it, I think-

and a few close ups, the pics just dont capture the true color/beauty, I mean I think they look nice but live is better-

icefire.jpg

clam.jpg

Delicate.jpg

Brad' date=' tank is looking Awesome..... Great color man.....[/quote']

Better than I can photograph-(flame)

Thanks man

I had to take a shot of this, I mentioned the pin cushions, its just funny how they pick anything it touches up-I've seen hermits getting free rides until they get lucky and can grab a rock;

Excuse the dirty acrylic-

PinC.jpg

and since the camera was out

group-1.jpg

i had to take my pincusion urchin out because it would pick up corals 3 times it size and dangle them above others. the last straw was a 20 polyp red acan colony dangling over a green war coral. strong little buggers. how long have you been doing the biopellets, what media and how do you like it? i tried it once but it stripped out my nutrients so low that my corals lost color very fast.

wow...just keeps getting better and better. Nice.

It's kinda funny that when you get down to ultra low nutrients, the cyano takes over since it can survive where the other "algaes" no longer can.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, Im liking how its all coming together. As far as the nutrients I was told the same-red turf grows better in good quality water what a bonus huh, LOL

You have a amazing tank. Some day I want to have one half as nice (whistle)

Thats quite the compliment thanks-You'll get what you want I'm sure

i had to take my pincusion urchin out because it would pick up corals 3 times it size and dangle them above others. the last straw was a 20 polyp red acan colony dangling over a green war coral. strong little buggers. how long have you been doing the biopellets' date=' what media and how do you like it? i tried it once but it stripped out my nutrients so low that my corals lost color very fast.[/quote']

I think I'm just short of 3 or so months with the pelletsI'd have to check-I started a thread on it. I'm using the Aquamaxx and only have a liter which according to them would be for about 250 gallons and I'm closer to 550. I never planned on using enough to remove all the nitrates just help reduce them. My NO3 is still around 10 or at least it was 2-3 weeks ago when I last tested which is down from the 25 it was always at.

I feed a ton so stripping the nutrients was not a huge concern although it was something I was initially afraid of. My goal (I think) is to take them off line once the denitrator is working at its peak-time will tell.

I did loose all my cali torts for some reason, I assumed it was bio pellet related. I have replaced them with 3 other calis and all seems fine, it was strange and sad losing 3 years ofgrowth

I've lost many sps from sudden drops in nitrates' date=' Phosphates and the like by bringing new equitment online.[/quote']

That really sucks to hear and sad to say I've read as many posts about it. It was a huge fear of mine when starting with the BPs thats why I started very slow. The directions called for .5 to 1 liter for 125 gallons and I started with .5 liters for my 550 gallon system. I also used a reactor designed for BPs not the TLF reactor thats used for carbon or GFO.

• 1 year later...
Thanks for all the feedback, I have always had a weakness for clams, and chalices, and sticks ,and acans, and, and .....

Ah the screen name fits so well-DOH!

I liked these shots I took earlier but I need to work on the camera settings, maybe when Frank comes over he can add that to the list of what he will help with-(whistle)

10-21l.jpg

10-21m.jpg

10-21c.jpg

I have been so lax in keeping this updated-DOH!

Lets do a fast update-

Took off the VHO- a few months ago, I have not used them for at least 6 months and I dismantled the fixture that housed the VHO's along with the 2 heatsinks each of which has 72-3 watt crees

Then at almost the same time I attempted the QT set up for the flat worm treatment I added a bio pellet reactor-This casued some serious red turf algae to grow, but on a positive note the pin cushion urchins love turf algae, coraline etc. I ended up adding 2 pincusions and 4 tuxedos-awesome creatures

Rescaped the tank during the fata worm debacle ( this was after the bio pellet addition)

I built 2 new LED units each having 24 LEDs which puts me at a total now of 304-3 watt crees, but I am running mine at 600mA so its the equivelant of 1.8 watts ~

Took off the 2 straight returns that fed the tank. The return had been fed into two loc lines, now I have the returns going through 2 1" sea swirls. I'm not sure why I never hooked them up initially, they have been sitting in my garage for over a year and I bought them for this build-(such an idiot)

and 3 days ago I added a DIY sulpher denitrator.

My next project is to plumb into the system one last frag tank that I got from Grassi and then I think I am going to add the Avast DIY skimmer scraper or whatever its called, It cleans the skimmer's collection cup so the skimmer runs more efficiently

icefire.jpg

clam.jpg

Delicate.jpg

Well it looks like its been awhile since I've updated my build thread, a lot has happened in the last 2 years (laugh)

Its pretty amazing looking back at how some of these pieces have grown.

I ordered a new lens for DSLR, I picked up a Tamron SP 60MM F/2.0 Di II 1:1 Macro, I hope to get some nice shoots

Looking forward to some nice camera work of your corals,so much color and diversity it is envy inspiring.I am looking into snagging a new camera and lens but am fishing here for some experience and info before making the high dollar commitment. I am staying tuned...Again.

• 2 weeks later...
Seeing these brings a tear to my eye.

Your colors are spectacular.

Thanks, I work at it LOL

Loading up for a sale so I'll be taking pics of all my sticks-I have to use the macro since the AF on my stock lens doesn't work and with the avast tube attached to the barrel I cant get to the focus ring-The new 60mm is nice but I think I'll need to replace the 18-55 lens, I think its cheaper to buy one than fix the broken AF (auto focus)

I know people will ask for "colony shots" so......its the best I can do. For reference that nem is about 16" in diameter (laugh)

Notice the fancy platform I threw together for taking pics :) I cant get a good shot in the frag tank(s) so I'm having to pull the acros from the frag tanks and place them on the stand to get a pic-all the acros showing egg crate in the background will be taken this way.

Starting left moving right....

TL_zps4c6291a2.jpg

TM_zpsd4aad645.jpg

TR_zps05b1c0ae.jpg

RommelsWM_zpse1932ea4.jpg

so you're the SPS master.. why does it only encrust till one point it blossoms into tons of branches?? why not spread out evenly? or the initial frag grow more?

Great question, wish I knew-this particular piece is the only one I've had grow this way, the initial frag is that little branch in the center of the "square"

All my acros encrust before they do anything but they don't typically grow this way, I suspect its a tabling acro (ya think (laugh) )