Why is my calcium uptake so high?

impur

I'm starting to think i should be adding more of the calcium to my tank at once.

Using this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

it states i need 141.9ml of Kent Liquid Calcium to raise my calcium 50ppm. One capful is 5ml. So i have only added 50ml, 90ml short to raise it just 50ppm. Guess i need to pickup another bottle of this stuff yikes. I'm gonna need to do a DIY for calcium solution like i do for alk.

I was wondering this as well. When you said that you were raising it per bottle directions. This is put on the bottle to cover their bhinds for begginers that may want to over do it. All tanks are different and use supplements at different rates.

Edit: once you get your calcium up to lvl it should not require that much to keep it there.

Randy Holmes-Farley chimed in on my thread on RC, he said the Kent Liquid Calcium Reactor is worthless stuff. So i'm gonna go pickup more liquid calcium for the time being and double or triple the amount i add over the next 2 days. I'm in on the next BRS group buy, so i had already planned to buy their calcium and magnesium to makeup some solutions. Then i'm going to buy a bubble magnus triple doser to dose them.

I hope once its back to normal it'll stay that way like you say Brandon :D

I HAVE EXTRA BRS TWO PART IF YOU WANT TO TRY THAT

Thanks Jacob, i'm gonna go pickup a couple bottles of liquid calcium at Aqua Serene for now and get the brs calcium in the group buy early next month. I appreciate the offer though!

You need to bump up your calcium a little anyway! ;)

Well I dumped 6oz of Liquid Calcium in when i got home from work last night. Man thats a lot to dose at once, never done that much before. Didn't see any adverse effects. About 5 hours later i dumped another 4oz in, then this morning i added another 4oz. I just tested and my calcium is up to 400ppm. I'm going to dose a little more, bump it up to around 450ppm and call it good :D

I just raised it 130ppm in about 15 hours and my corals all look great. I think BRS is just covering their behinds by stating that. I mean you don't want to raise it as much as I did normally, especially if you can avoid it, but my situation called for it.

The calculator i linked above says to dose half one day, half the next. For me thats about 9oz each day. I did a little more than half the first day.

I just tested again actually

pH 8.2 (skimmer has been off for a day plus i'm not running the CO2 scrubber)

calcium 400ppm

alk 8.3dKH

mag 1410

I'll test tomorrow to see what has dipped and by how much, then figure out a easy dosing schedule for while i'm gone.

I just tested again actually

pH 8.2 (skimmer has been off for a day plus i'm not running the CO2 scrubber)

calcium 400ppm

alk 8.3dKH

mag 1410

I'll test tomorrow to see what has dipped and by how much, then figure out a easy dosing schedule for while i'm gone.

Glad to see you getting it dialed in before you leave :-)!

Brandon - ya me too. Hard to enjoy your vacation when you are worrying about the tank all the time!

Alex - I thought about it, probably wouldn't hurt. But there isn't really a reason to shut it off, and i just cleaned it up all nice n purdy. So i'll probably leave it running.

Archived