New cold water tank thread!

AquaticEngineer

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Scratch that.

I AM doing this!... where is a good place to find a guide on temps/gravity all that of the Oregon coast? id like to get an idea of gear ill need too...

for chilling i can pass some tank water outside and into a radiator... for the winter... it doesn't break 35f in central Oregon till June.

Scratch that.

I AM doing this!... where is a good place to find a guide on temps/gravity all that of the Oregon coast? id like to get an idea of gear ill need too...

for chilling i can pass some tank water outside and into a radiator... for the winter... it doesn't break 35f in central Oregon till June.

and everyone else on this forum is now jealous...chilling is $$$

soooo....

looking at the laws... it looks like you can take all the inverts you like but no fish... (if you've got a shellfish permit)

unless you've got a scientific harvest permit... so if i build a cold water reef for my upcoming science classes... i can get me a ticket to harvest what ever i like! (if im not mistaken) Go education!

this is going to rock... so hard...

Contact Aquaticengineer or Drunkreefer. They have the most info on the laws and regulations. And are in contact with the proper people at fish and wildlife to get the information you need. With a shell fish license you are very loosley regulated on most species for collection. You are also able to keep many species of fish using just a fishing license. Especially if it is not sought after for a food source. You may also want to contact the above mentioned names about hooking up with us for a collection trip. WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE...

First off, congratulations on taking the first step towards the future of marine aquaria (devil) Welcome to the dark side.....

This is a really good up to date article from July 2011 about temperate marine aquariums written by Bob Fenner, this is a good beginners read for sure.

http://www.shopanimalnetwork.com/SAN_DOWNLOAD/AF/AF1107x-6357eba2-2d12-4562-82c5-62157cbc3943.pdf

i want to do a cold water setup...

is it legal to harvest cold water inverts for aquarium use in Oregon?

Yes, checkout this for specifics on collecting limits and minimum sizes.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs/2011_Marine_Zone_Fish_Regs.pdf

Most all of the fish you'll collect will fall under "other marine species not listed on pages 102-103" which means you can take 7 fish in aggregate per person per day. Fish collection only requires a current Oregon fishing license.

For invertebrate info check out this link:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/shellfish/regulations.asp

That will let you know specifically what you need a shellfish license for and what limits and size restrictions to follow.

SHELLFISH LICENSE NOT REQUIRED:

All other marine invertebrates (urchins, chitons, snails, shore crabs, anemones, sea stars, and similar animals)

10 in aggregate

•May be taken by hand or hand powered tools.

For almost all of the invertebrates you will want in your tank there is no license even required. Just follow the 10 in aggregate per person per day limit.

Good rule of thumb for temp is 55F. Specific gravity is the same as saltwater anywhere, I would keep it a little on the low side, most things I've noticed dont tolerate high salinity very well.

As for chilling, the radiator idea is ambitious :D If you go through the trouble of doing that, I would take it one step further and take a large run of pipe under ground and into the permafrost layer. The ground temp stays stable and is right around the temp you want your water at. I have some plans to use this on an outdoor pond idea down the road. Otherwise, you'll just want to buck up an buy a chiller eventually ;) You may want to install the chiller outside so you dont have to worry about noise or heat put off by it. Lots of people running cooler water mediteranean tanks are doing this.

Gear wise, it really depends on what you are trying to collect. If your diving it is a whole other list. The first time I went collecting I brought almost everything, I left the kitchen sink last minute, but I had it ready to go (laugh) I've since slimmed down a lot of the gear to streamline things.

Here's a list I made a while back about gear to bring tidepooling, this is a good list to start with and then adjust it to your own preferences/needs.

***2011 Oregon Fishing Regulations Booklets, and printed info verifying what I'm collecting and where I'm collecting is completely legal***

Neoprene stockingfoot Chest Waders

Neoprene Gloves

Full change of clothes

Knee Pads

Insulated backpack

hand shovel

Rock hammer

Chisel

waterproof flashlight

Polarized Floating sunglasses

water shoes and river sandals w/covered toe

Lots of ziplocks and tupperware for short term retention

Coolers and buckets w/ lids drilled for airlines for long term retention (ie the day and drive home)

Frozen shipping gel packs

Power inverter and air pump with gang valves

A couple large strainers for use as holding stations while collecting in one spot

soooo....

looking at the laws... it looks like you can take all the inverts you like but no fish... (if you've got a shellfish permit)

unless you've got a scientific harvest permit... so if i build a cold water reef for my upcoming science classes... i can get me a ticket to harvest what ever i like! (if im not mistaken) Go education!

this is going to rock... so hard...

No need for a scientific collection permit, read a couple lines up.

You may also want to contact the above mentioned names about hooking up with us for a collection trip. WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE...

The next possible times to go that have decent minus tides this year are December 10th, and Christmas eve. Both of which I cant go :( I have a work xmas party on the 10th and 2.5 kids.

There is a guy in Bend named Greg that I sold a lobster tank to last year. He recently emailed me about wanting to set it up for a coldwater marine tank soon. I will PM you his email and let him know you may contact him. Maybe you guys can split gas on the drive and then meet us here in the Portland area and ride over on a collection trip.

Thank you!!! i will be starting my own thread on this so as to not hijack this one further...

ive actually been in touch with ODFW already today and am in touch with a marine biologist from the Newport department ( shes going to clarify some things for me ) but it looks like you've answered my questions already so i guess i can let her know! ... and ill elaborate on the chiller idea further in my own thread!

sorry to go overboard here and take the post over lol... i just realized an old dream again when reading this post and i am excited to make it a reality!

Archived