feeding harlequin shrimp...

Guest Mbeef61

Guest Mbeef61

i got a pair of harlequins today and was wondering from anyone who has them how they feed them...

i have a chocolate chip star fish right now about the size of a silver dollar. im wondering if its better to give them the whole thing... let them eat what they want and then put it back into the sump or cut off a leg and give them that.... or maybe there is something else im missing...

im planning on cutting a leg off with a razor and then feeding it...

also how often do you feed...thanks

• 2 years later...
i got a pair of harlequins today and was wondering from anyone who has them how they feed them...

i have a chocolate chip star fish right now about the size of a silver dollar. im wondering if its better to give them the whole thing... let them eat what they want and then put it back into the sump or cut off a leg and give them that.... or maybe there is something else im missing...

im planning on cutting a leg off with a razor and then feeding it...

also how often do you feed...thanks

I just got 2 harlequins

so if they are eating the abundance of brittle stars in the tank do you still give them a cc starfish leg a week?

I just got the two but I never see them together do I only give 1 leg or do i give them each 1???

How long does it take them to find it??

I was told by a LFS that you can feed a pair of H. shrimp 1 CC star once a month.

They will eat everything on the star.

I would feed 1 leg about evey 10-14 days if you go that route. Or 1 whole star about every 4 weeks.

If you have the room get a few CC stars and keep them in your sump and take a leg from a different star each time allowing them to regenerate/heal and you should have food for quite some time.

I bought 5 large (5-6") cc stars and put in the sump of my home tank, then got harlequin on my office tank and fed them 1 leg every other week, the thinking was they would regenerate and have a supply. They just don't grow back that fast but the system worked well. If your feeding whole the info I got was once a month.

he he, sadly it will vary for every system, amount of food and water conditions. I dont feed my stars, just what they find they get to eat. Unfortunately my harlequin was eaten by a starfish a while ago. Go figure.

So ok , you think I should get 6 - 10 little 3 - 4 inch cc stars? would that be enough so that they could regenerate? So they are OK in the sump? What about light? Can they get out? or do I need to rig something for them to be in the sump? What do they (CC Stars) eat if I wanted to feed them, What do they Eat in the sump If I don't Feed them?

I know lots of questions! I Love my little harlequins and that sounds like a very good way to keep the budget down.

So ok , you think I should get 6 - 10 little 3 - 4 inch cc stars? would that be enough so that they could regenerate? So they are OK in the sump? What about light? Can they get out? or do I need to rig something for them to be in the sump? What do they (CC Stars) eat if I wanted to feed them, What do they Eat in the sump If I don't Feed them?

I know lots of questions! I Love my little harlequins and that sounds like a very good way to keep the budget down.

Sounds like you have the idea. They don't need any light though a small one wouldn't hurt for viewing purposes. They will eat leftovers from your display feeding but if not much food gets down to them, try giving some meaty foods to them like chopped up cocktail shrimp and silversides. Make sure to take out any excess that just sits there or it will reak havoch on your water quality. Good luck!

Shrimp

This sounds like a great plan I have always wanted a pair but didn't want to feed CC stars cause I have always had a reef! I never thought to keep them in the sump!!! I am in the works for a new tank another 75. I will finally be able to get a pair of Harley Shrimp as my daughter calls them!!! SHe will be extatic!!!(clap)

As another option, my LFS was telling me (last year) that he could get frozen CC stars for harleys. Just another option and probably pretty cheap since its not a live good. Not sure how they respond to the frozen product but he insisted that they are fine.