Ideas for cutting Acrylic

Bigjohnwoody

So I bought a Level Loc ATO and it arrived today. My problem is my acrylic eurobracing is to wide for it to hang on so I need to cut it. Of course the sump is in use so I don't want to have acrylic flakes all throughout my system. I have a router and a bit but it is really messy. Is there any cleaner way to cut it or do I need to pull everything out and go cut it and bring it back? I have my fuge, skimmer and all my equpment in it so it is no small task. If that is the best way though that is what I will do.

Just curious, is there enough room to get a router in the stand and route a small area back , since you have all that equipment in there and and the stand in the way?

make a "dental dam" use a plastic bag, stretched out and tape it to all the sides, then route and then slowly take up the tape and fold the plastic into itself, your gonna to get flakes but not that much

Can you cover everything with a big plastic garbage bag while cutting? If so, you could duct tape it to the sides of your sumpa nd whatnot and this would keep the vast majority out of the system. Any little bit that got in would do no harm. You could also use a Coping saw with a fine tooth blade to cut it by hand. This will cut down on the mess.

Well I used a plasma torch high end laser combo!!! My sump started melting so I had to stop. Thanks Garrett that was not very good advice(laugh).

On a serious note I covered it with trash bag and duct tape and used a Rotozip. Couple flecks in the water I scooped out and all went smooth. I got it hanging now and will be testing for awhile before I let it go. Seems like a good product. I will hook the solenoid to my Apex to only allow it to run a short amount of time, this way no floods happen. Thanks everyone for the advice.