How often do you get discouraged with this hobby?

Michael7979

How often do you get discouraged with this hobby?  

1. 1.

• Daily
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Yearly

[language filter] does any of this have to do with the first post?

Nothing. That is why you are getting attention Isaac, because you brought something into a post that had nothing to do with the original post.

More drama. whoopie.

I apologize, instead of slapping my hand and not replying I furthered the derailment of this thread, and for that I am sorry. Back to the topic at hand...my apologizes.

Keep your chin up Michael7979....Best of luck with whatever you choose.

I get very discouraged whenever something dies. I think I just take it very personally. Like yumas, for example. I LOVE them, but they don't always love me. Or, when things die for no apparent reason. Sometimes a zoa that I've had for a very long time just closes and never opens. To me, it's like a puzzle to figure out, and when I cannot reach a satisfactory conclusion it drive me nuts!

Some of the most discouraging things to have happened to me:

-Left RO/DI on overnight dropping salinity levels drastically(done this a few times in my day) resulting in many losses :(

-Splashing water on a halide bulb, then pop.

-Letting corals drop on other corals ending up with dead patches or loss of the entire coral/corals

-Big cracks in tanks that were perfect the day before.

-Do not use drywall screws to solely secure a tanks stand!

-Overloading power circuit and having to pay an electrician to come out and run a ton more power... multiple times ;)

-Purchased cheap light bulbs and other less than useful equipment... money down the drain way too many times

-Failing at plumbing then learning how to properly plumb and having to redo the project

-Fish killing other fish because I should have known better...

-The frustration of a lack of space!!! Both in tanks and the room to add more tanks lol

-lazyness resulting in tank nutrient levels rising causing all sorts of problems from cyano outbreaks to browning and reduced polyp extension.

-Unknown reasons for fish and corals being pissed or dying. This is probably the most frustrating because many times a solution cant be found or isn't realistic enough to implement.

-Bills, i.e. power, water, misc supplies for the tanks

-Unintersted loved ones :(

-Selling something for too cheap or wanting something that you sold years ago for a project now.

-Knowing that you spend more money on fish and coral than most people make(given now it is for the shop but it hasnt always been that way lol)

-Hearing customers and friends stories about tank problems and not knowing how to help or what might be causing them! Frustrates the crap out of me and at the same time keep me learning.

-So many more that I could list.

• Like 1

Nice post Garrett.

I to have thought about leaving the hobby many times or just scrapping my current system to start over and do it right but the great people around the state and on this forum have always offered up a solution and kept me in the game.

I say keep at it and everything will work its self out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Thats a great list Garret!!! Most of my frustrations come from complacency, I get to complacent and things go wrong, I forget sometimes that even when things are doing good there is still allot to do, tests, water change, husbandry, coral placement, to name a few. Having had my share of alk issues the past couple monthes has gotten me down with all the losses I have had but then I think, I must have been doing something right for the corals to have been growing and happy enouph to have used up the nutriants in the first place.

Not reefing, but my 125 started to leak and I didn't catch it for at least 2 weeks. I drained the tank and resealed, problem fixed.......until a month later when it started leaking again. So, drained the tank, resealed, refilled and I was on my way. After the third time of it leaking I started getting really frustrated. Turns out that because of the first leak, my wood stand had warped, causing the tank to be un-level, putting stress on my seal. Well, my carpet didn't like all that water and now I have a 13"x2" strip in my white carpet where the stand molded.DOH!

Good news though, I bought a real stand and haven't had a problem since. (clap)

Garret I love your list, I can relate to so much of that. I have a greenhouse that I only get out to once or twice a week, its completely automated. That doesn't mean stuff wont go wrong though. and Kim Yea I guess I am young I started keeping saltwater in 8th grade so 1999, I'm 25 now, so no I wasn't in diapers but not too far off, I have a stupid snowflake eel to blame for this hobby! I saw it in the store and to a 13 year old kid what could be cooler than a moray eel, right? so I set up a 20 gallon tank complete with undergravel filter and home came the eel. now I'm a full blown addict.

In my short experience I have noticed either my tank is looking really really good & on it's way to success, or starting to look bad & on it's way to failure. It's a roller coaster that keeps me wondering when the next turn, up hill climb or drastic fall will accure. To be honest this is what keeps me involved. If I knew what to expect I wouldn't be so interested. Who here peeps into their tank in the middle of the night with a flash light? What are you looking for? something new, something different from before? You are trying to find the unexpected & at times we do. So to me keeping a reef in the house is way out of the ordinary, & I would be let down by simple ordinary results. So with all that being said have I ever been completely frustrated? You bet! Have I ever sat in complete aw? Of course. I have no clue how I will feel about it tomorrow..........