Apex or Digital Aquatics Controller

NoobtoSalt

Jesse' date=' like I always say, go big or go home, if you can afford it, go ahead and spring for the best on the market, that way you won't need to upgrade for a LONG time.[/quote']

You said a lot without answering my question....(scratch)

So which one are you running currently?

Since I can't afford one, none LOL But I've looked into them quite a bit, and while they're pricey as hell, the Apex is the way to go, I plan on getting one when we set up our next system, the nicest thing about them is you can run multiple systems with one controller.

Neptune's APEX unit-IMO/E

I ended up returning the RKE after realizing the costs for all the additional components-I am a happy APEX owner now.

The RKE I mistakenly read as being able to have 2 PH probes without having to add on an extra module-then again I ran a calcium reactor so for me the 2nd probe was "wanted".

I also would have needed to buy the net module.

All and all from a price standpoint (if you need and will use all it does) the APEX beat everything else it went against.

If you don’t need all the bells and whistles you can go less sophisticated-I have already added a 2nd energy bar to the 1 it came with.

I could go on and on and explain why-but IMO APEX hands down-there are many who will chime in and explain why Digital Aquatics are the way to go, which reminds me of the

T5 vs Halide questions-(laugh)

I "owned" Digital Aquatics, I now own "Neptune"-(clap)

Happy to discuss in detail over the phone sometime

I have been really pleased with Apex and they have wonderful customer service. There is a guy on reef central that we have called in the evening and has called back and talked Beth through a problem. They are also great in replacing parts free of charge even when it was not their fault like when a plug fried our dc8 panel. So my guess is part of the higher price is the customer service which IMO is well worth it!

Reek Keeper Lite

I agree with finch. As far as a controller that can do ph (calcium reactor), temp, top off, and one more additional plug you won't beat the price on the DA lite.

I have a DA and really like it so far. I looked into the Apex and for what I needed out of a controller' date=' the DA provided and then some at half the price.[/quote']

with a few PC4's I monitor PH' date=' control temp with alarms to shut off lights if it gets too hot, I control heaters, lighting, power heads on a wave maker soon, you can get a ORP and salinity probe, you can set up an ATO and a lot more.[/quote']

You said powerheads on a wave maker soon. Does that mean you have to get a different module for it to work?

Ok so from what it sounds like I can run multiple tanks off of some of these units. If that is the case then this is what I would need it to control between the two tanks

Main Tank:

Return Pump

Skimmer Pump

MH Lights

T5 lights

Heater (possibly)

Auto Top Off (coming soon)

2 - Powerheads

Frag Tank

Return pump

2 - Powerheads

Heater

MH Light

Auto Top Off

I'm currently not running any sort of reactors but at some point in time I'm sure that I will be. I can deal with basic timers on the Frag tank and not have the reef keeper on that system but if it's only a little more money it might be nice to have it setup that way. At some point in time (within the next few weeks) I plan on having both of my tanks tied back into each other with the pumps so I would at least need the return pump from both tanks be able to be shut off.

I like the ACjr. A simple, effective design. They can be picked up for $120 to $160 used with a DC8 and probes. They are very reliable. I like them so much I have two of them.

I don't like the idea of being too dependent on one system. As things become too complex they are also more inherently prone to failure IMHO.

The biggest thing to read into my post is "it depends on your needs"

For me, to run what I want, and have the net capabilities the APEX is or was less money-They will both do everyting you want it just depends on how may add on components.

Jesse, you can add an energy bar to run seperate tanks up to 210 feet from the base unit and I think when you daisy chain them (yes you 1960's people I said Daisy Chain)

together you can have a few hundred outlets-more than I hope you will ever need.

but the real question is ..............

T5's or Metal Halides-(laugh)

Jesse, you can add an energy bar to run seperate tanks up to 210 feet from the base unit and I think when you daisy chain them (yes you 1960's people I said Daisy Chain)

together you can have a few hundred outlets-more than I hope you will ever need.

but the real question is ..............

T5's or Metal Halides-(laugh)

What is this "Daisy Chain" you speak off. Some of us younger folks don't quite understand....(laugh) J/K

But really why can't you have both MH and T5's?(scratch)

The Neptune Aqua's can be programed to control about anything, I'm not experienced with the others, but a few othger things to do with the aqua

Software/computer programming Aqua III -Apex

Fans on by tank temp/room/hood temp

Alarms for temp/ph with email sent to phone etc

Ozone/Air pump

Co2 control

Kalk stir

Heat and cooling for sure

Graphs, database, events (record when everythng came on/off)

Internet access to monitor, modify and change/shut off, etc

Great thread on reef Central with a few guys that share amazing programs, got a free desktop Gadget for my work computer that shows the same Status as home computer program