• Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
    • Instant Ocean Synthetic Sea Salt
    • Kent Marine Sea Salt
    • Oceanic Natural Sea Salt
    • Red Sea Coral Pro Salt/Red Sea Sea Salts
    • SeaChem Sea Salts
    • Tropic Marin Sea Salts
    • Other/ Like Get Tanked, ect.

Microbe Lift came out with a salt now thats ionicly balanced for use with Ca reactors. Which means less sulfates and more clorides in the Mg and Ca ect, like when your making the Mg solution from BRS. I like this idea, and wonder how other salts compare in this way.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Kent, but if it were more readily available, i would use Tropic Marine reef salt. It is the best I have ever used. I tried the H2Ocean but it gave me a weird algae outbreak and it didn't mix up very well either. I am going to try the Brightwell as soon as I can get enough people interested in buying another pallet of it!!!

Oceanic all the way. I had a tank split and lost 80% of the water out of a 60 gallon tank. I mixed up some tap water with Oceanic and filled it back up in just a couple hours (as fast as I could). Fish looked happy right away and all but the tips of corals that were out of water the whole time survived. I don't know how other salts would work in this situation, but Oceanic has never given me a reason to switch.

I had been using Red Sea Coral Pro for years and was very happy with it. Now I'm FOwLR, I'm using Mortons Iodized Salt.

I kid, actually using regular Instant Ocean

Andy I told you, that you were supposed to use Kosher salt!!!(wife)(wife)That Toby I gave you is Jewish!:p

I use kent. The perams out of the bucket are how I like to keep my sps tank and I can get a bucket for $33

Where do you get a bucket for that price?...(plotting)

Andy I told you' date=' that you were supposed to use Kosher salt!!!(wife)(wife)That Toby I gave you is Jewish!:p)[/quote']

Mr. Fugu (that's his name, something you would have known if you cared enough to ASK him) is a Buddhist (flame). He and Queen Angel Latifah will be very happy in my gentile saltwater. (nutty)

Just to let you know, Kent has changed its' formula, has a new bucket and is now named Kent Reef Salt. I picked some up last week and tested its values for the big three at 560 ca, 12 dkh and 1400 mg at 1.026. I don't think that their old formula will be available anymore. Here is a link to Kent's site about this salt.

http://www.kentmarine.com/products/sea-salt.htm

I use Kent' date=' but if it were more readily available, i would use Tropic Marine reef salt. It is the best I have ever used. I tried the H2Ocean but it gave me a weird algae outbreak and it didn't mix up very well either. I am going to try the Brightwell as soon as I can get enough people interested in buying another pallet of it!!!

I have been using H2Ocean, but have been battling algae also. Tank seems to look clearer, but not convinced it's salt related. My other prefered salt is Seachem Reef Salt. Never had an algae problem while using the Seachem.

Just to let you know, Kent has changed its' formula, has a new bucket and is now named Kent Reef Salt. I picked some up last week and tested its values for the big three at 560 ca, 12 dkh and 1400 mg at 1.026. I don't think that their old formula will be available anymore. Here is a link to Kent's site about this salt.

http://www.kentmarine.com/products/sea-salt.htm

Yeah I saw that makes me kinda nervous to use it...(scary) We have the newer formulation but have not used it yet.

After my tank issues with the old Kent salt they sent me a bucket of the new and I have noticed that the corals are much happier and have grown faster with this salt than the last.

Oh really Jesse? What does your calcium end up being. I like that they dose strontium. So it doesn't jack up your calcium and mg? Do you use a Calcium reactor?

Oh really Jesse? What does your calcium end up being. I like that they dose strontium. So it doesn't jack up your calcium and mg? Do you use a Calcium reactor?

I'm not running a reactor at the moment. soon enough I'm sure I will need one.

Calcium ranges from 450-480

Mag is around 1200-1300

I'm still doing at least a 10% water change weekly but now that I don't have near as many fish(sad) I might be doing the water changes every week and a half.

I'm not running a reactor at the moment. soon enough I'm sure I will need one.

Calcium ranges from 450-480

Mag is around 1200-1300

I'm still doing at least a 10% water change weekly but now that I don't have near as many fish(sad) I might be doing the water changes every week and a half.

Yes, sorry about the fish. That hurts...(sad)(sad) See that's what I'm worried about with those higher levels of calcium and magnesium in the new formulation plus my calcium reactor that I also have the mg supplement in that could equal disaster.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback' date=' I went ahead and gave the Reef Crystals a try, we will see how things go....[/quote']

After you see all the popular kids are using Kent salt you go with reef crystals anyway...DOH!;)

I can't bring myself to buy Reef Crystals... It sounds too much like a condition you can only talk to your doctor about!(laugh)

Keep us posted on how it works David. I have seen other sites and polls regarding salt and it appears depending on where you live the majority use one type. A big reason for using Kent is the availability and price for what you get.