Anyone ever refilled r134a on a chiller? Or does anyone work or refriderators?

AquaticEngineer

Reviving this thread since DrunkReefer ended up getting my coldwater cube tank and it looks like it may need a R134A recharge.

It has I think what the call a "schrader" valve for the fitting on it and it needs only 10 ounces of coolant. Think we could bleed off the system and make some connection fittings to refill it using a small can of automobile AC recharge?

The only thing I dont know how to do would be to completely empty the system and create a vaccuum in it so it takes a full charge. Any ideas?

I hit up Taylor (PnkrckLives) about refilling it using automotive means, so we'll see :)

these small cans hav oil in them and should not be used in refrieration units. I am not trying to flame anyone I just don't want to see you cause more problems than you have now..

these small cans hav oil in them and should not be used in refrieration units. I am not trying to flame anyone I just don't want to see you cause more problems than you have now..

Hey I totally appreciate any and all info I can get on this :D Josh (DrunkReefer) is going to get in touch with someone he knows that does works in the HVAC business.

Topher, shoot me a PM with your guys' prices on house calls.

I went over there and snapped these pics with my phone earlier so there is a better idea of what we are working with.

Pic of the Valves on the chiller:

IMG_20110427_175349.jpg

Is Polyester Oil the same stuff as PAG oil?

IMG_20110427_175218.jpg

R134A for sure

IMG_20110427_175235.jpg

This one is only charged with 10 ounces

IMG_20110427_175256.jpg