Possible Salt Issues

NoobtoSalt

Just tested the main tank.

Alk 8.5

Calcium 530

Mag 1550

So the good news is that it is going down. But I think I need to get some of this sps out of my tank before I loose it.

You want to be careful with mag swings, less than 100ppm per day and preferably over a few days, but you better check ammonia and also phosphates, two sps killers just in case.

bring over anything you want to try and save.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. So I just started to look through my emails and I found that Kent is looking to take care of it for me. He also offered to ship me some of their other products to help in lieu of the cost of the corals I have lost. Top class customer service! I need to get with the LFS that I bought it from but sounds like I will get either my money back or replacement salt and some more goodies. Pretty impressive in my book.

Wait a minute. Did I miss something in this thread about the salt having wacky params or is Kent just being super proactive about a 'might be' issue?

I will post the email they gave me in a reply. but he asked what my parameters were and he replied that although they wouldn't say that it was there salt that they would still try and take care of me on it if I can get a copy of the reciept. Problem is that it was at Rosecity and Nicks receipts are just register tape. Nothing is itemized. I'm going to check to see if I can get anything from him to show that I bought it there.

This is the email they sent back to me.

The Kent salt mix has enhanced Calcium and Magnesium levels higher than standard grad salt mixes. When you mix to 1.0250 the calcium should test out around 475 to 480ppm and Magnesium will test around 1380 and 1450ppm. All hydrometers have a certain percentile error margin' date=' even refractometers. The digital units are the most accurate as are properly done titration tests (under laboratory conditions), but these are also super expensive. If you are using a floating or needle hydrometer, I would recommend investing in a Refractometer as for most hobbyists it is the most accurate thing within the budget range for testing salt content. If your Hydrometer or refractometer registers 1.025 and your actual salinity is around 1.0255 or 1.026 then the calcium can very well come out at around 550 and magnesium at 1500. The other thing to remember is that hobbyist grade test kits also have a certain percentage of inaccuracy, and every test kit is a little different. Also adding to that is people's view the color change and when they stop counting drops may be different as well as the light it is viewed in. I am not trying to defend the salt per say (as the other high end salts such as Red Sea, and Tropic Marin) fall under this same scenario but wanted you to be aware that when we are dealing with the hobbyist realm that there is a certain inaccuracy in our testing that we live with and accept. The other thing to be aware of is the older a calcium and magnesium test kit gets the more inaccurate it becomes. I have that problem with both the Salifert and LaMotte kits (which are considered the top test kits in the hobby) that I use. Every time I open up the reagent containers a little humidity gets in and over time enough gets in that it no longer tests out as did when it was fresher. The Kent salt was designed for systems that have the SPS and even LPS with heavy growth and mineral usage. If a system doesn't use a whole lot of Calcium and Magnesium then one of the types of salts would be more appropriate.I tend to keep my reef tanks at around 1.023, calcium at 420, and magnesium at around 1300 so that if I slip on my topping off of fresh water, the salinity does not go too high and the mineral concentrations in the water do not get too high. I have been keeping SPS for going on 12 years now and diagnosing issues with SPS is no easy thing. Unless one adds something to the tank and within a day you start losing multiples, it is virtually impossible to pinpoint the cause (except for heat issues and obvious things such as too much fresh water being added and crashing the salinity, or major calcium carbonate precipitation causing a pH crash). Because there is really no way to know what happened one way or the other, I am willing to go out on a limb to help you out as we do care about our customers. If you send me a copy of the purchase receipt for the salt I can see what I can do to replace it. I can also send you some other chemicals such as liquid iodide or strontium, etc. to make up for the corals. Just let me know what other things you use on your tank.[/quote']

Impressive customer support. Day after day I'm noticing how lucky we are in this hobby for having brands that really care of us.

He said as long as I can get something stating I bought it that he would take care of it. Amazing. Now I just need to get down to Nicks shop and see what we can come up with to show I paid for it.

make sure your testing your salt mix before you put it in the tank. or did you switch over to reef crystals? Also you really need to make a large batch of saltwater so your not fighting different batch problems. you need to isolate things to try and figure out what the problem is. also your testing may be flawed somewhere. maybe to many drops or an airbubble in the dropper, a missed ml of water in the syringe. who knows. also how long are you letting your water aerate before you test and put it in the tank? I let my saltwater mix for 24 hours.

Just tested the main tank.

Alk 8.5

Calcium 530

Mag 1550

QUOTE]

make sure your testing your salt mix before you put it in the tank. or did you switch over to reef crystals? Also you really need to make a large batch of saltwater so your not fighting different batch problems. you need to isolate things to try and figure out what the problem is. also your testing may be flawed somewhere. maybe to many drops or an airbubble in the dropper' date=' a missed ml of water in the syringe. who knows. also how long are you letting your water aerate before you test and put it in the tank? I let my saltwater mix for 24 hours.[/quote']

This was the last test I did on the 13th on the main tank itself. I tested the mixed water on the 10th and the Mag was at 1400 and the Calcium was at 550. The water was mixed for about 2 days before I tested that.