Possible Salt Issues

NoobtoSalt

So I lost some SPS this week and I do regular weekly water changes in my tanks so I figured my parameters were just fine. Low and behold I brought some of my water over to Reefits house yesterday and found that most everything was fine.............but..... My Calcium tested around 580-600 and my Mag was about 1700!!!

My Alk was at 8.5 I haven't tested it yet today but am a little confused since I don't dose in my tank as to what is going on. Robert and I are both thinking it could be a bad batch of salt so I wanted to see if anyone else here has ran into this on the boards. Im currently using Kent salt but I'm pretty sure I will be switching to something different.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kent salt is pretty high on calcium. There is an article somewhere where somebody was comparing most of the salt mixes, but I can't find it.

If you don't have a high load of calcium demanding corals it is possible that your values will go up. But I also feel it could have been a very "strong" batch on kent.

Do you see any sort of precipitation?

As per your other comment, there is no need to switch to a different salt like H2O ocean pro for a few weeks then go to something different. it will take several water changes over a few months to get the tank dialed in to a different salt, so if you choose to change, make sure your not trying 10 different salts in a few weeks time frame because it will stress your tank inhabitants.

Kent salt is pretty high on calcium. There is an article somewhere where somebody was comparing most of the salt mixes, but I can't find it.

If you don't have a high load of calcium demanding corals it is possible that your values will go up. But I also feel it could have been a very "strong" batch on kent.

Do you see any sort of precipitation?

theoretically if you remove, 10 gallons of water with calcium, you put 10 gallons back in of the same type of water it should replace what you took out and add whatever was depleted, so logic would say the salt was mixed with higher levels than what he had previously mixed.

As per your other comment' date=' there is no need to switch to a different salt like H2O ocean pro for a few weeks then go to something different. it will take several water changes over a few months to get the tank dialed in to a different salt, so if you choose to change, make sure your not trying 10 different salts in a few weeks time frame because it will stress your tank inhabitants.[/quote']

I was just figuring that it would be worth spending the money from now on with what ever salt I go with. I know your having good luck with Reef Crystals so that may be what I end up doing. Just wasn't sure if I should get a salt that is supposedly more stable and has had more tests done on it.

theoretically if you remove' date=' 10 gallons of water with calcium, you put 10 gallons back in of the same type of water it should replace what you took out and add whatever was depleted, so logic would say the salt was mixed with higher levels than what he had previously mixed.[/quote']

If your tank is 10g yes. But if your tank consume more ca than the concentration in your mix, then you go low, so reactors, dosing and so on.

More ca then necessary it is just gonna precipitate with no harm for corals.

Reef Cristal is low on ca, kenk is relatively high. Both are great mixes. I suggest you to go with kent if you plan frequent water changes and are not planning to have a ca reactor.

I didn't find the article, just an image:

comparisontableofelelmentsenh_500.JPG

Kent is mostly equivalent to sea water plus some trace elements. It is also low on phosphates.

I was just figuring that it would be worth spending the money from now on with what ever salt I go with. I know your having good luck with Reef Crystals so that may be what I end up doing. Just wasn't sure if I should get a salt that is supposedly more stable and has had more tests done on it.

The idea is that your not switching things up to much. kent marine is not a bad salt, you may just have a bad batch and i would test that and look into getting your money back. If you switch salts, i recommend staying with the new brand for several months before trying a different one again.

The idea is that your not switching things up to much. kent marine is not a bad salt' date=' you may just have a bad batch and i would test that and look into getting your money back. If you switch salts, i recommend staying with the new brand for several months before trying a different one again.[/quote']

I think I'm going to go ahead and shoot them an email and see what I can do. Just sucks that I've lost quite a few pieces this week alone from salt!

I guess it's my fault for not testing daily but still sucks none the less.

If your tank is 10g yes. But if your tank consume more ca than the concentration in your mix, then you go low, so reactors, dosing and so on.

More ca then necessary it is just gonna precipitate with no harm for corals.

Reef Cristal is low on ca, kenk is relatively high. Both are great mixes. I suggest you to go with kent if you plan frequent water changes and are not planning to have a ca reactor.

I didn't find the article, just an image:

comparisontableofelelmentsenh_500.JPG

Kent is mostly equivalent to sea water plus some trace elements. It is also low on phosphates.

Thanks for getting that. I was just looking for something like that online but you beat me to it. I'm hoping Robert's right and that I just got a bad batch of salt. I've been using Kent for 4 months or so now and haven't had any issues up until now, but with that being said everything I've lost for the most part was SPS.

Is that the results from your tank or freshly made SW?

I'd start by testing a fresh batch of SW. If the params are that far off from NSW, i'd switch salts.

Or you could just add some calcium everytime you do a WC.

Dumb question but shouldn't I be trying to lower my calcium levels?

what other additives are you putting in your tank??? purple up? any other products like that?

Also, where do you get your water?

I haven't used any additives in well over a month probably closer to two months now. I don't dose with anything other than what's in the salt mix. Water was from SWF.

What else could cause all of this die off then? The only non SPS coral I lost was a Ric I got from Beth and Kim that I really liked.(sad)

All my other corals seem happy. I bought a couple of SPS pieces last week from Westside one which has died now (red milli) and I took the other over to Reefits just so I didn't loose the purple with blue tipped milli. The day after I bought a Orange Digi from OIAB but that seems to be doing just fine.

What is your alk? I mean the unit? Meq?

I can tell you for sure that ricordea florida do like high mg

What is your ph? Did you guys tested Reefit water too that day? What brand of test did you use?

Alk: 8.5

PH: 8.2

NO3: 1-2ppm

Amnonia: .5

Calcium: 580-600

Mag: 43/9 1700 ppm

This was all done on an ELOS kit. I have an elos alk kit here but nothing else. I plan on buying those in the next day or so as well. At least just the mag and calcium levels.

But with the calcium being so high this would be the perfect time to get a clam!!(nutty) Just kidding.