Any other Reef hobbiests wanna go "green" with me?

CA2OR

So I am going to do my part and go "green" with my reefing....well step it up anyway. I have noticed that we as reefers waste a lot of plastic in the bags we use to ship. Most I have met will admit that like me they have "a bag of bags" and once full we simply start throwing em away.....so I got to thinking....one way we can reduce the amount of plastic we contribute to the landfills to sit forever is to get specimen cups and simply send em back and forth amongst eachother in trades.

My thought was if we can get a group involving the WA clan, southern clan (Eugene, Salem, etc) and us Portlanders we can get a few hundred sent in each direction to be shared and that should considerably reduce the amount of waste we produce. It would be $11.50 for 50.....providing we can get an even number of "spots".

So I am ordering from here

http://www.medexsupply.com/products/pid-167/SpecimenCupswithLidIDLabelAtta.htm?zmam=34602484&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=167

For a box of 100 it is $23....so if you guys are interested I figure for every 2 spots we fill at $11.50 each "spot" or person will get 50 cups....if you pick up 2 spots at $23 obviously you will get 100 to yourself like I am. You can get as many spots as you want. I myself will be bringing containers to stores and trades if I know I am getting frags.

If you are interested in doing the same simply post or pm me.

Involved parties....each spot is $11.50 I did the shipping calculator at 12 boxes and it was $38 something so thay would be split amongst those involved as well.

1. CA2OR

2. CA2OR

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Or if you know someone in the medical field, you might be able to get them for, guess what...... FREEEEEE!!!!!

Suck up to Beth folks, if I remember right, and I might be totally wrong on this, but, I think she works for a medical supply company, she might be able, if she does in fact work for a medical supply company, to hook us up as a club with an order of specimen cups.

I get mine for free as it is, but that's just me, Jess an I just so happen to have our own hook-up LOL.

Or if you know someone in the medical field' date=' you might be able to get them for, guess what...... FREEEEEE!!!!![/quote']

Yeah and its called "fired" for what the call "theft" if they get caught.....wel l worth it huh? Put your "friend's" carreer and livelyhood in jeapordy for a hobby....or a few hundred cups....or should I say $11.50.....nice

Re: Any other Reef hobbiests wanna go "green" with me?

He is still on ignore list....that will never change...I already know what he's about....don't need to read posts to verify....but I had to click on the view post thing to see if he wanted cups....wouldn't deny that. But I did specify numbers like "hundreds" which is different from 4's and 5's

Well even if someone doesn't like this idea I think it's a great idea...lol

I'm thinking for this more on the TECO growout and others this would be great. Were going to have more frags than we know what to do with and this would be a good way for all of us to get a bunch of cups. Just a thought.

removed

Any reason why we have to keep seeing these personal attacks by the same person? Its getting really old and beyond childish. This is not the place for it and it would be nice to see grown ups act like grown ups. You dont like someone, fine but calling them a low life in a public forum I would think is beyond breaking the rules. Its getting pretty old.

Eric are you sure you want just 4oz cups? Also what about getting them locally and save that shipping cost? I'm sure there are medical supply places here in the Metro area - if it's inner east side I probably pass by and can pick it up for you. I don't have much to frag yet but I would save these cups and exchange them with others who are providing frags.

Re: Any other Reef hobbiests wanna go "green" with me?

I initially looked local but best I found was box of 25 for $12....if someone can find a good deal I am all for it.....but this was the best deal thus far that I found

Specimen cups work well for soft corals, but in the past I've noticed more damage to hard corals when transported in a rigid container vs a plastic bag. Just food for thought :)

With the number of zoa frags you work with though I think this is a great idea :)

That's an excellent point aquatic. I noticed that as well until I got a shipment of blastos and the shipper made a small hole in a square piece of styrofoam and encased the blasto in there. We tried that with some zoas and it worked great. i know styrofoam is not very green but at least we reused the pieces we got in that shipment and keep the styrofoam that comes in other shipments.

We transported some zoas across town that way and they didn't close because they weren't getting banged up against the cup.

Something to think about, these specimen cups would only be used for small frags and zoas. you wouldn't be able to use them for tall sps frags or things that wouldn't fit so it will limit their usability for some members who aren't into the whole zoa thing.

personal attacks aside and should be removed by the Mods by the way, I don't like these cups unless frag is well cushioned inside as they can get smashed easily if not and mounted on plug's can make it worse,had this happen on a trade and the guy I traded with used these type of cups and plastic bags are recyclable but just not quite as green.