Question/Hermit Crab Shells

Ku'ulei

Hello All,

I am searching for Hermit Crab Shells for my clean up crew and wondered if anyone had experience shopping for new houses for these criters & have any recommendations on where to buy? I have looked at all the websites I could find online but don't fully trust them enough to buy and put those shells into my tank. They sell painted shells and polished shells that I don't think were made for saltwater hermits. I am thinking these shells are made for those children who have pet hermits in a little plastic hamster box (not submerged).

I am hoping to find a variety of shells from extremly tiny up to 3/4"; natural shells, round opening, and mother-of-pearl inside finish. Whenever one of my bigger hermits changes into a bigger shell, the rest of them 'upgrade' within two days to the next size up that becomes available and have done so twice now.

Want to keep these little guys happy so they leave my favorite sand snails alone. (nono)

Get a bunch of nerite snails. When the hermits want a new shell, they will take out a snail and get dinner and a new shell at the same time.

If you are in the hobby long enough, snail shells just start piling up. :(

dsoz