Moving a 75 gallon to a 150?

NoobtoSalt

So I found a guy on craigslist that is looking to downgrade in size and I thought this might be the right time to get a bigger setup. Since I have an established setup will it be fine if I transfer everything over the same day? When I get some pictures from the person I will post them on here and see what everyone thinks as to weather or not I should do the trade or not. He said the demensions were 42x24x32?

It would be a LOOOOONG day, especially if the 150 is going where the 75 was.

Also, if the sand has been used for more than 6 months, consider new sand. If when you are taking it apart there are any black, smelly, rotten egg areas then you should not use the old sand. You will release toxic hydrogen sulfide into the water and kill a bunch of stuff.

Should be fine. I have moved my 75g tank all in one day by myself. But I was only moving it across the room. I only asked my teenage son to help lift the tank itself, which took about 5 minutes of his time.

Have lots of buckets and rubbermaid totes to hold all your stuff, and have about 100g of saltwater made and ready to go (match salinity).

dsoz

It would be a LOOOOONG day, especially if the 150 is going where the 75 was.

Also, if the sand has been used for more than 6 months, consider new sand. If when you are taking it apart there are any black, smelly, rotten egg areas then you should not use the old sand. You will release toxic hydrogen sulfide into the water and kill a bunch of stuff.

Should be fine. I have moved my 75g tank all in one day by myself. But I was only moving it across the room. I only asked my teenage son to help lift the tank itself, which took about 5 minutes of his time.

Have lots of buckets and rubbermaid totes to hold all your stuff, and have about 100g of saltwater made and ready to go (match salinity).

dsoz

I've been adding new sand for the past 2 months so I should be ok with that. I will probably have to buy a few larger rubermaid containers since I've only got the one I mix my water in currently. And the tank will be going into the same spot more than likely so I guess it depends on what he has in his tank as well. It could be a larger project for both of us..

Are you proposing swapping two reefs at the same time, or is the other tank empty?

It depends on what types of coral you have, and how much you are willing to risk. Ideally it would be smarter to get the plumbing, lighting, flow, chemistry, etc all set before you swap livestock. That's not to say it can't be done, but if you are rolling with a bunch of high end corals, you may want to send those with a friend...for a few days.

Are you proposing swapping two reefs at the same time, or is the other tank empty?

It depends on what types of coral you have, and how much you are willing to risk. Ideally it would be smarter to get the plumbing, lighting, flow, chemistry, etc all set before you swap livestock. That's not to say it can't be done, but if you are rolling with a bunch of high end corals, you may want to send those with a friend...for a few days.

It sounds like his tank is a FOWLR but not sure till I get the pictures.

Hey Noob check out my 150 reef thread (bottom of my signature)it will give you some ideas as to how to store stuff. At the time we didn't have any high end corals just softies and were moving to a new tank.

Also have rubbermaids and large saltwater drums that you can borrow if needed.

I just got the pictures emailed to me and it looks like a really nice tank.

It is 42x24x32. If they are interested in my tank I will post some pictures of the tank to see what everyone's thoughts are on it.

32 is a tall tank for a reef Noob. Our aggressive tank is 31 inches tall I believe and it is difficult to get down to the bottom. I have to use a step stool and some aqua tongs and I still get my tee shirts wet! Fortunately since we don't have a lot of corals in that tank it is not a huge problem but it is quite a show when I do put something in there!(laugh)

Beth had to put on a swimsuit to set up the rock work!(laugh)

32 is a tall tank for a reef Noob. Our aggressive tank is 31 inches tall I believe and it is difficult to get down to the bottom. I have to use a step stool and some aqua tongs and I still get my tee shirts wet! Fortunately since we don't have a lot of corals in that tank it is not a huge problem but it is quite a show when I do put something in there!(laugh)

Beth had to put on a swimsuit to set up the rock work!(laugh)

Might be a good excuse for me to get my wife in a bathing suit...lol

Dude, at 32 tall, you're going to be running 400w Halides at the very least, that's a very long way for the light to go down, you may not have to upgrade lights, but I'd find someone with a PAR meter and have them come check it out just to be on the safe side.

Once I hear back from him I will post what is going with it. He said he wanted to keep his custom sump but I don't think it will fit in the stand I have for my 75 anyways. But first impressions of the tank don't look so bad. We will both keep our current livestock so I will have everything inside the tank that I currently have which is good since I like everything I have so far.

no email back yet on the specs. Maybe he will get back to me tomorrow.

I did look into the tank from Spokane Valley on craigslist as well. Seems like a decent deal but I'd rather see if I can swap tanks. I recomended that she jump onto the forum and post pictures and explain a little more about the tank to see if anyone here was interested. I also suggested that she say hello vs just selling the tank but it could end up being a good deal for someone.

What happened with this?

I have a 30" deep tank. Lots of people told me I'd need 400W halides but I have done fine with T5's for quite a while and now have 250W HQI over it and it is more than enough light for me. I don't try to grow acros on the bottom, but do grow montis and a variety of LPS. Some of my softies and chalices actually get too much light down near the bottom, so depending on what you want to keep, don't get too hung up on the light issue. I actually had PC's on that tank for several months with no problems.

The guy never got back to me after a lot of emails. I gave up for the time being getting a larger tank. We are currently looking for a new house again....so I don't want to have to get a new tank and then move it in a few months. Getting a 29 gallon biocube for my son today but the big tank if on hold till the new place, plus our tv just went out on us last night so I might be spending a couple grand on that in the next week as well.