Help me build a sump!

NoobtoSalt

So this is a picture of the tank I currently have. It has 3 chambers currently in it. The middle chamber has all of the filter pads in it. The left chamber is where my skimmer is and the third is the return pump. Any ideas as to how to keep the same chambers going and make it into a sump? I don't have much room in the stand to do a sump so i was hoping I could use this to do it.

yhst-32494300360055_2107_11020991

get rid of the bio balls for sure and maybe even the carbon filters. then just run some kind of a prefilter with maybe some crushed live rock back there? not much room for configuration. you could very easily utilize those chambers with a sump as well though.

How tall is the stand? Is it possible to build a new stand? I'm having to build a bigger one since I made mine so [language filter] short.

Word of advice, for a saltwater tank, never, EVER, make your stand 24" tall, it's a HUGE PITA.

LOL, true that. i have a 35" tall stand and i'm still running out of space.

This is an old picture but because it has the two cubby holes above the doors and it has a support in the middle I don't think I can modify it much if at all. I'm worried that it would be a headache to get a new stand as well though.

This is a picture from the first day I got the tank so it looks a little more full now..

picture.php?albumid=133&pictureid=784

LOL' date=' true that. i have a 35" tall stand and i'm still running out of space.[/quote']

I've got plans drawn up for my next stand, I just have to get the wood to build it. It's going to be HUGE, 72Lx30Wx40T, I should have PLENTY of room in it LOL.

not an easy stand to work with either...

nope but the wife really likes it..(nutty)

I've been told to get rid of the bio balls for some time now but I figured why bother... but now that I'm getting more and more corals I'm thinking that this should be the time to do it.

Jesse, if you buy the materials, I can build you a stand, and then you can possibly talk Steve into making you a skin to go over it, and I'll just frame it for you.

Trust me, my stand that I'm using now, it's built like a Mack truck, I will make you a stand that you can park your truck on LOL.

Jesse' date=' get with Steve, I'm willin to bet he could help you make a new stand that would be perfect. and then moving from stand to stand won't be too hard, take maybe an hour or 2.[/quote']

I'm heading over to his place tonight so I will probably be talking to him about this anyways. Good thinking!!

I could build it if I had the time. I have a wood shop fully avaliable so maybe I will do it.. Sounds like a summer week project coming up

But it would be nice to keep it simple and have it all in the same tank I guess too. So the cost wise it would make sense for at least the time being to still utilize the chambers I have in my tank. So if I replace the bioballs and DLS pads with live rock rubble what else would I need to put in there? And where would I put the sock with carbon in it? I'm not running carbon at all yet.

Ahhhh but that's the fun part about the hobby :P

And it will make things a LOT easier on you, turn that area into your overflow, drill for a durso stand pipe, and man, you'll have a nice set-up.

And if you make the stand big enough, you won't have to upgrade the stand when you upgrade your tank, that's why I'm makin mine so big.

Ahhhh but that's the fun part about the hobby :P

And it will make things a LOT easier on you, turn that area into your overflow, drill for a durso stand pipe, and man, you'll have a nice set-up.

And if you make the stand big enough, you won't have to upgrade the stand when you upgrade your tank, that's why I'm makin mine so big.

Yeah but if I'm going to spend that kind of money getting it setup for just a sump I might as well just wait till I see a 125 setup for sale empty and buy that. hmmmmm, maybe I should just do that...(laugh)

Beth an Kim have got a brand new 150 they'll sell for 400' date=' it's a steal at that price and it's a super nice truvue tank too.[/quote']

Kim mentioned it to me the other day, but if I get a different tank I'm getting glass. I can buy the tank from my work as well, it would just have to be drilled. I want to keep the same dimensions on the width since I just bought that light setup not more than a couple months ago.

Then I have the PERFECT tank for you.

Your tank is 48" right? Check this out:

http://www.greatlakesaquariums.com/aquarium/glass-aquarium/completeaqlist.aspx

Scroll down to the 48" tanks, and check out the 110 wide, it's 48x24x22, an absolutely awesome tank, and it's a helluva deal too.

Where do you work anyway? LOL

The one petstore that doesn't carry anything in the way of saltwater supplies...

Petsmart, I'm the Ops Manager at Cascade Station.

I wish we could order stuff. What's in the store is what I can get. I've only been working there since October before that I was unemployed for 7 months and worked for Circuit City for 10 years. A lot different working at a petsore vs electronics that's for sure. Loving every minute of it.

Back to helping me build a sump though...

I'm thinking (well someone else told me) to put cheato and my skimmer in the first chamber, live rock rubble in the second, and just keep my return pump in the third chamber.

Anything else I should consider when doing this?

I'm not going to do this until I get back from my trip as I'm sure this can cause issues with my setup.