What halides would you suggest?

NoobtoSalt

What halides would you suggest?  

1. 1.

• Phoenix 14k 250w DE
    • SPS Blue life 14k 250w DE
    • Ushio 14k 250w DE
    • Something else that I didn't add on the poll....
    • One of the above but 20k bulbs

So I know most of you have all suggested to use Phoenix 14k bulbs but I wanted to see if anyone else would suggest anything else........so since we all like polls I figured this one might actually be of use...(laugh)

If I should add anything more than the few that I'm adding let me know.

Oh I forgot to mention I found a LFS that will sell me the 14k or 20k Blue life's for $45 each and the Phoenix at a LFS for $60 each.

The Blue life is at a shop that is not on here and I'd like to support the groups on here since they help us out a lot.

Oh I forgot to mention I found a LFS that will sell me the 14k or 20k Blue life's for $45 each and the Phoenix at a LFS for $60 each.

The Blue life is at a shop that is not on here and I'd like to support the groups on here since they help us out a lot.

I've been there with the Blue Life-its worth the 45.00-hint hint-

It doesn't look like they make a DE Radium in 250w

Not that I saw, that was one I was looking at-I have had the SPS in the 150 watt 20K-

I know Salt water Fantasies offered to let me try the phoenix and return it if I did not like it-They never went back.

I will tell you without question, if you like a little blue (like you see in atinics) that will make the corals POP in color-there is no other buld in the DE that will do that-

There is the gaunlet folks-(laugh)

Good luck with your endevour-been there, done it, and its painful-;)

I saw the bulbs in Franks tank and was sold at that point.

Yeah I know patrick runs the phoenix I think in the same light setup I have in his front frag tank which is quite nice, but I've also seen the SPS Blue light 20k at another shop and it didn't look too bad either. Was unsure as to which one to do? 14k or 20k?

Correct me if I'm wrong but 14k I will get more growth, but 20k I will get more blue tint?

With my current 10k Ushio they work fine but they seem to be yellow. I've been told the 10k makes things grow even faster but I like the blue tint even though I have T5 attinics.

Yeah I know patrick runs the phoenix I think in the same light setup I have in his front frag tank which is quite nice, but I've also seen the SPS Blue light 20k at another shop and it didn't look too bad either. Was unsure as to which one to do? 14k or 20k?

Correct me if I'm wrong but 14k I will get more growth, but 20k I will get more blue tint?

With my current 10k Ushio they work fine but they seem to be yellow. I've been told the 10k makes things grow even faster but I like the blue tint even though I have T5 attinics.

Yes in therory as I have understood the lower the Kelvin the better growth. For the money I was not impressed with the SPS-they looked and had the same PAR readings as the bulbs 'I used to use' of of Ebay for 20.00 a bulb, and those bulbs for that matter I would put head to head with any "name brand", if it wasnot for the look of hte phoenix that I saw and get, I would still be using the Plusrite bulbs for 20.00 each.

My opinion, and it comes from trying only 4 different bulbs-there are plenty out there but I stopped once I found what I liked-If I had the mogul type, I would have most likely done radium or xm, or at least tried them as I have always seen great results, but I am a DE guy.

don't try the ushio 14k because it's yellow. been there tried that. I've probably posted this before but I've tried (4) different 14k 250w DE bulbs and the Phoenix is the best, IMO. The other bulbs were an Ushio, Icecap and a Hamilton. They all had a yellow tint while the Phoenix has a blue tint. I use Icecap electronic ballasts.

If you were going with a SE bulb I would say Radium. I tried a 400w Radium and 20k XM and the Radium was the best, again IMO. Very blue but I liked it. I ran them on an Icecap electronic ballast.

don't try the ushio 14k because it's yellow. been there tried that. I've probably posted this before but I've tried (4) different 14k 250w DE bulbs and the Phoenix is the best, IMO. The other bulbs were an Ushio, Icecap and a Hamilton. They all had a yellow tint while the Phoenix has a blue tint. I use Icecap electronic ballasts.

If you were going with a SE bulb I would say Radium. I tried a 400w Radium and 20k XM and the Radium was the best, again IMO. Very blue but I liked it. I ran them on an Icecap electronic ballast.

I thought you had the PFO HQI ballasts? (scratch)

Single mogul, yes?

+1 in that order for single mogul

for DE

#1-Phoenix

#2-see #1-(laugh)

IMO/IME

I believe both Radium and XM make a DE bulb. Phoenix is a good choice too.

#3 for me. I definitely prefer mogul base bulbs though.

I thought you had the PFO HQI ballasts? (scratch)

I did until it died and then I went to an IC.

I believe both Radium and XM make a DE bulb. Phoenix is a good choice too.

#3 for me. I definitely prefer mogul base bulbs though.

Radium does not make a 250w DE bulb. They do make a 150w DE bulb.

Dude, you are so right it's not even funny. Yet another reason to go with SE bulbs over DE bulbs. I actually really like to run 250w radium SE bulbs with an icecap 400w electronic ballast. They run a bit brighter and I like the color better. I think it shortens the bulb life though.

So from what everyone is saying I should do Ushio or SPS right???(laugh)(laugh)

I kind of figured this was going to be one sided for the most part, but it's always good to get input from others. If I had a single mogule setup I would use XM or Radium but they are not cool enough to have DE bulbs...(whistle)

So far it looks like Pheonix is the winner but we still have a few more days to pull out some results.

Thanks to all so far that have posted on here!

I did until it died and then I went to an IC.

Ahhh... did you notice a color shift? The tests posted at RC (from Sanjay, I think?) seemed to indicate both a drop in PAR and color shift (more yellow) for the electronic ballasts they tested, but they weren't Icecaps, IIRC.