micro bubbles

mattv

Does anyone know what be causing me to get micro bubbles in my tank? I just last weekend got my filter system going in the basement. The refugium has the water well above the return pump intake, there is a few bubbles that are formed as the water overflows into the discharge side of the refugium but not alot. Any ideas would be great! Thanks mattv

Ditto. Block the lower ends and fill the pipes with tank water to purge them. Pull the impeller at the return pump and look for a broken blade or cracks? If you can't pull it, build a simple closed loop set up for it with some clear tube and look for bubbles at the exit side.

New tanks tend to produce bubbles for a while. Mostly for decomposition of organic material and for the fact that you need to build up some thin algae layer in your system, including plumbing.

That said you should check both your return and overflow.

As for return if you have water in the sump you should be ok. Unless your pump is running chocked and it can create some weird vacuum effects. Check for leaks with the pump switched off.

You can then limit the bubbles from your overflow adding a T pvc fitting at the end of the pipe, in a way that it is half way submerged. Play a little with the setup.

Also you should put a couple of baffless in the sump in case isn't long enough compared to your water flow. If you have a sump-refugium, the macro algae are gonna do the job as soon as they mature a little.