Unknown Chalice Coral?

NoobtoSalt

So has anyone ever bought a chalice not knowing what it's going to look like? And if so was it a good experience? I'm looking to grab a piece from one of the LFS and I didn't want to jump the gun today but I'm interested in getting some feedback from others that have Chalice corals as well. It was a large piece not a frag so that's why I ask. They have others that are already starting to color up but I kind of like the idea of buying the unknown....(scary)

It can be fun and profitable but it may be a complete bust profit wise if you are looking to sell frags of it in the future. There is also a chance that it could take up to a year to color back up or never recover.

You may end up with a big lump of ugly aggression that wants to kill everything around it in your tank or it of course might be your favorite piece. Either way it really depends on what it is worth to you but from personal experience I have had it go both ways.

Chances are if it is a large piece (larger than a nickel) chances are good WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)

Its the small 1/4 to 1/2 inch frags tha are tough to tell.

I think last count I have about 32-34 chalices and everyone I have that is larger than a dime/nickel show the colors that they do as I saw from the mother colonies.

Although fraging it down the road would be nice to recoup some costs that's not really why I would get it. I just don't know enough about Chalice but so far from what I've read it isn't hard to keep, it's just a slow grower. Most require lower light since I have halides I figure I would put it near the bottom of the tank. All three that I was looking at were all a red plate. No other colors could be seen. He thinks that one could be a watermelon but he's unsure and doesn't want to lead me on. It was nice to not hear a bunch of fluff from the LFS about it.

It can be fun and profitable but it may be a complete bust profit wise if you are looking to sell frags of it in the future. There is also a chance that it could take up to a year to color back up or never recover.

You may end up with a big lump of ugly aggression that wants to kill everything around it in your tank or it of course might be your favorite piece. Either way it really depends on what it is worth to you but from personal experience I have had it go both ways.

They are much larger than a nickel. Aprox 2 1/2" wide by 5" long.

Chances are if it is a large piece (larger than a nickel) chances are good WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)

Its the small 1/4 to 1/2 inch frags tha are tough to tell.

I think last count I have about 32-34 chalices and everyone I have that is larger than a dime/nickel show the colors that they do as I saw from the mother colonies.

Like NW mentioned-watch out for the sweepers-I think its the mycedium(sp) that tend to have sweepers-maybe not all but I had a few that I had to get rid of, one had sweepers about 6 inches long-freak of nature-and that is way to big of a footprint for a chalice in my tank

I never really thought about the sweepers on them. 6 inches!! I might have to revisit this idea if that's the case.

Like NW mentioned-watch out for the sweepers-I think its the mycedium(sp) that tend to have sweepers-maybe not all but I had a few that I had to get rid of' date=' one had sweepers about 6 inches long-freak of nature-and that is way to big of a footprint for a chalice in my tank[/quote']

I also have only had 1 that really had a long tentacle problem, but as mentioned before they were about 6 inches long and they of course have to go with the flow of current but they did kill EVERYTHING in their path.

They do require low light though, I would recommend the bottom of the tank. They are an LPS so they are naturally more of filter feeders.

If you saw Reefnjunkie's tank it would all make sense to you!(laugh)

It can't get any more fully packed!(nutty)

Brad id the chalice guy (rock2)

I've seen his tank a few days ago and it is stunning.

He's just fighting some real estate problems, like me and all the members with less than 100g of water

Brad id the chalice guy (rock2)

I've seen his tank a few days ago and it is stunning.

He's just fighting some real estate problems, like me and all the members with less than 100g of water

What? Not everyone has 2 150 gallon tanks in their basement?;)

Both of you have nice tanks and lighting! I keep trying to talk Brad into putting a bigger tank in his family room! Would love to see how long it would take him to fill a 150 gallon tank!:p

The nice thing about frags is that you put em in your tank, move them around a bit and if it doesn't work out in your tank trade them to an unsuspecting neighbor or throw it in their back yard and see if the dog that barks all night gets tagged by a sweeper tentacle.

Words from the wise....lol

I'm going to see if I win any from OIB first and if I don't then I will go back to the shop on Tuesday and see what we can come up with. Who knows I may not get anything...but that's pretty unlikely.

The nice thing about frags is that you put em in your tank' date=' move them around a bit and if it doesn't work out in your tank trade them to an unsuspecting neighbor or throw it in their back yard and see if the dog that barks all night gets tagged by a sweeper tentacle.[/quote']

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!! I get to go pick it up on Tuesday since I work all day tomorrow. Once it get's aclimated to my tank I will post some pics with a new thread. If this chalice goes well in the tank when i get back from Vegas I might pick up a few more. This hobby is way too addicting...lol

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!! I get to go pick it up on Tuesday since I work all day tomorrow. Once it get's aclimated to my tank I will post some pics with a new thread. If this chalice goes well in the tank when i get back from Vegas I might pick up a few more. This hobby is way too addicting...lol

Vegas is way too addicting!;) Can't wait to see pictures!

Vegas is my home away from home... just don't tell my wife that...lol

She never went until she met me and now we go all the time. Never get around to gambling too much so that's a good thing. Maybe I can buy some corals when I get back.

I'm picking up the new Chalice tomorrow from Perry and you can count on some pics on my tank thread!