what do you guys think of "Garf Grunge"

mwheeler

I have seen it in someones tank before. It is more like small pebbles you would find in a stream around here. It did not look like it was carbonate based. It has been a while since I saw it, but what I remember thinking was "wow, that is weird looking in a reef tank."

I cannot attest to how "good" it is for the tank, but I hear that it has all sorts of good stuff growing in it. You could probably get a similar sample of life if you get a cup of live sand from several different people here. I know that when I first started in this club that "sand swap" was a popular event. Then people started sharing things like flatworms, and other pests along with the good. Then the sand swap sort of phased out.

dsoz

the sand swap idea sounds cool. my sand has a ways to go now since i went from a 1.5 inch sand bed in a standard 29 gallon to a 3 inch sand bed in a 46 gallon. my "live sand" that i have is spread out all over the place now. but i would be willing to buy someones sand from their tank if i could see the tank it was coming from to know i was getting something from a healthy system.

I wasn't wanting much. Just a little from a couple people. Just something to get the 30 lbs of new sand in my tank jump-started. I had 35 lbs in my 29 gallon so i know that will do good with what I have i was just wanting to get a little more biodiversity in my sand bed.

I have gotten some from them in the past, it was like a mud/rubble mix. Some have questioned the "grunge" as if they were making it and if not how much could you produce even from several tanks, they seem to be able to send out quite alot. Mine was about 1/2 cup sent with an order I placed with them, I decided to toss it but I'm sure there are some that swear by it. You can buy products like Miracle Mud or as said above you can seed a sand bed from another tank. I know Upscales will sell a bag of sand out of their tanks and other stores may also if you ask. If nothing else "time" and some live rock will give you a very nice live sand bed on your own.