400w MH bulb query

Michael7979

It's time to change MH bulbs again.

I have been running Radiums and LOVE them. Most likely will just end up getting them. But want to see what other people think is a good 400w bulb.

Somethings to consider:

I run MH only with no actinics.

(I run my actinics before/after my MH cycle)

I am using PFO HQI ballasts.

So what do you guys like? Let's hear your opinions.

ive used XM 20k bulbs for the last 4 or so years. i switched to them because of price and because i felt they gave me the color i wanted with the brightness i expected out of a 400w bulb. i was also pleased to find out they had a much higher PAR rating than a radium when used with a magnetic single ended ballast.

i used radiums for a few years prior to XM and always felt like they were just too dim. but im also getting close to bulb replacement time and am thinking i might switch back to radiums just too see if i notice any change in my sps colors....which people have claimed are great under radiums...

so, im still partial to my XMs, but may go the radium route after all...

ive used XM 20k bulbs for the last 4 or so years. i switched to them because of price and because i felt they gave me the color i wanted with the brightness i expected out of a 400w bulb. i was also pleased to find out they had a much higher PAR rating than a radium when used with a magnetic single ended ballast.

i used radiums for a few years prior to XM and always felt like they were just too dim. but im also getting close to bulb replacement time and am thinking i might switch back to radiums just too see if i notice any change in my sps colors....which people have claimed are great under radiums...

so, im still partial to my XMs, but may go the radium route after all...

Dim?

Really think that XMs are that much brighter?

On a scale of 1 to 10. Where is a Radium and XM in your opinion, (brightness)?

well since XMs are probably the brightest bulb ive used, ill give them a 9. radiums were more like a 6 or 7 in comparison. as far as i remember that is...its been years. now on an HQI ballast...that changes things alot. youll certainly get very bright bulbs if theyre single ended on your HQI ballast.

well since XMs are probably the brightest bulb ive used' date=' ill give them a 9. radiums were more like a 6 or 7 in comparison. as far as i remember that is...its been years. now on an HQI ballast...that changes things alot. youll certainly get very bright bulbs if theyre single ended on your HQI ballast.[/quote']

Yeah thats why I asked Jordan.

I have SE on HQI.

So hard to imagine 'brighter'.

I love Radiums' date=' especially when powered with an HQI ballast. XM and SPS are my two favorite bulbs when running standard magnetic ballasts. I love the color and brightness.[/quote']

Garrett are you running either of these bulbs at your place now?

Might need to see in person!

Along the same thread' date=' anyone run Radiums on icecap electronic ballasts?[/quote']

Here is a pic of a radium on HQI ballast(on the right) and a radium on a Icecap ballast. Reflectors aren't the same as you can see. one is a PFO and the other is a lumenbright by coralvue. as you can see the Icecap runs the Radium very blue IMO but it gave the corals great color. I also don't think the PFO reflector was as good as the coralvue.

4129034069_8857d01d58_b.jpg