fish and live rock transport/ 240g floor bracing

ReefStar

I am picking up a 240g tank, live rock and fishes that is 2 hrs away.

What is the best way to transport the live rock and fishes for that long of a trip?

Do I need floor bracing for a 240g tank?DOH!

My house is 4 yrs old if that help.

thanks for help

Kenny

Getting the one on craigslist I see...

I just got mine home from about an hour and a half drive. The fish did fine in the water that I kept (which was about 70 gallons or so). The rock was just covered by the water in a huge rubermaid container. mine didn't have any corals on it so I couldn't help you there but they should be fine from my personal experience. But that being said I've only been doing salt tanks now for about 2 months...lol

Good luck, looks like a great setup for the price! I was looking into the rock myself but I think it would have been way too much.

I would put each fish into a 5g bucket. (maybe borrow/buy some battery op. air pumps)

Put LR in coolers with a wet towel covering them.

I would make sure that the tank sits across as many beams as possible.

I put my 240g in the garage due to the fact I had no wall to put an 8ft. tank against.

Keep the rocks underwater if possible. 5g buckets, coolers, rubbermaid tubs, etc. If they have a lid, it will help with the splashing and spilling of water. Only fill each container about 1/2 full of rock, then just cover the rock with water (a little bit exposed is OK).

Put each fish in a bag like they come from the LFS. two hours is not too long for a fish to be in a bag. Just bag them up last and open them first. Maybe have a holding bucket with powerhead/airstone for the fish while you set up the tank so they are in a little more water volume and there is gas exchange.

Two hours is not that long for a move, but expect most of a day for the breakdown process and most of a day for the setup process. It probably won't happen all in one day. So you need a plan for what to do with the animals for the overnight. A cooler/rubbermaid tub is a good choice as long as there is water circulation.

Good luck

dsoz

Re: fish and live rock transport/ 240g floor bracing

hey epic...when I moved here from So Cal I drove my tank and everything in it here....15 hours, for the fish and corals I picked yp a cooler and a battery powered air pump, both of which I still have...anyway long story short everything made it here without a problem....hope that helps

oh the LR went into 5g buckets with water and sealed the lid

In addition I would try to get 80 gallons or so of the water. that will be enough to get the fish into the tank even if you don't get it full on the same day. Throw a couple of power heads in until the water level is high enough to start the pump.

Get ready for a long day! I hope you have water mixing right now with some heaters in it and powerheads churning the water! Get lots oh rubbermaids and 5 gallon buckets! I used a car trailer to move mine and it was beautiful! Just make sure you don't let anyone else mess with anything especially the heaters! And use the lids! If you can use a trailer then you could use all the water! Good luck and sleep good tonight! You're gonna have a long day ahead of you! I wish I could help but I'm in eugene!

Clay

• 6 months later...

remember to get the water for the fish first, right off the top of the tank. don't stir up a ton of detritus and sand trying to catch fish, pulling rocks out etc, then get them a bunch of nasty water with tons of crap in the water. they will die quickly if their water is tainted. i've had it happen in less than an hour before. try to contain as much of the original water as you can. get a good pump and long hose and fill up containers already in your truck / van, i used 55g rubbermaids with lids. then i put the rocks in those and kept the fish in 5gal buckets, they should not need a bubbler for a 2 hour drive just don't overpopulate buckets. I would setup a temporary hospital tank for the fish so you can put them in and have some time to setup the tank, aquascape, throw sand in, etc and let the system settle back down before you throw all your fish and corals back in the tank. might want to invest in a few extra pumps, heaters, filters, etc.

Kenny transporting live rocks doesn't mean you have to place it in water. Live rocks are heavy as it is, use wet newspapers to cover the rocks. In two hours time with live rocks it should be ok. I ordered live rocks from across the world and that's how they ship it to me. It would be a good idea for you to use floor bracing due to the total weight of tank with live rocks, sand, canopy, stand, etc.. With a 240 gal tank fully up and running estimated weight would be over 3500 lbs. That's exactly like parking a semi truck inside your house.

Vin B.O.M "Blue Ocean Marines Inc."

Kenny transporting live rocks doesn't mean you have to place it in water. Live rocks are heavy as it is, use wet newspapers to cover the rocks. In two hours time with live rocks it should be ok. I ordered live rocks from across the world and that's how they ship it to me. It would be a good idea for you to use floor bracing due to the total weight of tank with live rocks, sand, canopy, stand, etc.. With a 240 gal tank fully up and running estimated weight would be over 3500 lbs. That's exactly like parking a semi truck inside your house.

Vin B.O.M "Blue Ocean Marines Inc."

That would be the lightest semi truck ever. LOL

My 300 gallon is on my second floor, had a 400 gallon prior. However I have multiple support walls directly underneath. I wouldn't put something like that in the middle of the room with nothing under it.