PCX 30 Pump Loud

JonBoy

What did you say? I can't hear you over the noise of the pump . . .

I am a freak about noise. So, I feel your pain. There are a few things you can do to help out a bit, besides replacing that pump.

Setting the punpm on a soft rubber surface like a rubber mouse pad will help to minimize the vibrations.

Having some sort of soft plumbing coming off the pump, so everything is not hard plumbed helps out a bit as well.

Make sure the pump and pipes are not vibrating agaisnt anything.

Between the lot of that you should be better. If it is stuill to loud for you, there are other cool pumps out there IMO, that are quiet.

HTH

Its not vibration i plumbed it with flexable PVC and the feet of the pump are rubber and it bolted to the stand its the actual stupid motor that just keeps WHINING! wasnt sure if this was normal for genex pumps. If i have to replace any opinions of a quieter pump that wont kill my bank would be appreciated.

I have a genx 40 and I fought it for the first few months. Loud, I will go a different route if this one ever dies. That being said it seems quieter now. Either Im use to it, or it had a bit of a break in period.

I put some foam padding under it, that seemed to help. Also, are you running it wide open? I only run mine about 1/2 to 3/4 open, other wise I get mega micro bubbles.

How old is the pump? Did you clean it first?

If you haven't soaked the pump in white vinegar, I actually like to run the pump in the vinegar I think it works better but that's JMO, I woudl try that.

If the pump is clean, it is mounted on a pad to reduce the noise, and the plumbing is made to absorb the vibration, there is not much else you can do besides replacing the pump.

JMO

No idea how old the pump is doug gave it to me with the cube and i've never ran an external pump before so have no idea really what a new one sounds like. I did clean it when i got it with warm water and a tooth brush never thought about soaking it in vinegar water. probably end up just buying a new external or maybe just stick with the internal dont really want another one of those though

Don't judge external pumps by any of the Gen-X pumps, they're a powerful pump but obnoxious as all hell!

Look into Reeflo pumps, you won't be disappointed! Even their largest pumps are [language filter] near silent. To be honest I think my Reeflo Snapper is quieter than my Eheim Internal return pump and it's definitely quieter than my skimmer!

Like others have said, a mousepad and not hard plumbing the pump will help but not that much. I use my old pcx40 from years ago in my water mixing tank, that's about all it's good for IMO.