Guaging interest in a group buy

CA2OR

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Guaging interest in a group buy

a group buy on ric's, i am thinking same kinda theory as the zoa one going on.....but this will be much faster as we can frag them....so everyone would toss in $10 and get 10 or more ric's out of it be the end

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

i have no problem supporting an lfs as long as the prices are competitive.....which so far they havent been.....not even close. Grassi has the most competitive prices thus far. so my choice would be grassi.....but i guess we can put that up for a vote.

the reason i was thinking coralmorph is because i did a test order when this thrtead first started and received 16 rics for $128 shipped, and the packaging job was very impressive....i will post pics from when they arrived

unlike the zoa version i am thinking everyone involved will get one ric to start and hopefully we can get someone to show us how to frag them....not to mention any names, grassi, but maybe we can find someone experienced...cough,cough....grassi

Well I think you guys should first contact a LFS and see if they can help you and I'm sure they will.

They do this for living and we need to support our local community. We have seen too many of them closing recently.

If they are not interested or really far from being competitive, then is better to buy from me than from a remote online seller, I agree.

As for prices, we have to remember that we can't compare store prices with our "kitchen table fraggers" prices. Stores need to pay rent, light, taxes and so on.

In my opinion, even $15-18 from a local store is a good price. Sure Joe the diver from Florida can do better. Propagating ricordea florida takes time, collecting them from the reef is faster.

As for the fragging, they are mushrooms. From what I learned, you can cut them through the mouth and they can live or die (not often). You can also cut them without a piece of mouth, and they can live or die (more often).

It is simple. The problem of ricordea is not how to frag them, but the healing procedure. To have a high success rate and to avoid to put your other corals in danger, you need a way to keep them away from being catch by other hungry corals, lost in the tank and infecting your water with muchus.

That's why we had to setup a special tank to grow out our ricordia.

If you ask me how to frag ricordia, I will just tell you what you already know.

Alex

I was think more along the line of trying to get 20 to go in at @40 perperson this would get us 800 in the pot... The we buy in qty of 5 to split them into 1/4 and evrey one will get one.

So everyone would get a frag from the start? This sounds better than having to wait to frag multiple times.

I'm interested are we going to be able to get some of these really cool multi colored ones. I have the common blue' date=' green, orange but want the crazy looking ones.[/quote']

As we have seen for other species, also the Florida started having "names" and this will probably be the trend. Usually with the "packages" you get the common green, orange and blue.

The most beautiful ones, the pink, rusty and the white, goes under WYSIWYG prices and they end up costing 200-300% more than a common one.

Another thing to say is that all the florida I have seen on sale online where from pictures taken under very blue light, probably photoshopped.

Or maybe they started producing blue eggcrate (whistle).

Also the morphing factor of this family is huge, and they look completely different even in different zones of the same tank.

Sometimes the size makes a difference too, because the "skirt" could take some time to develop.

• 3 weeks later...