To sand or not to sand that is the question

stylaster

To sand or not to sand that is the question  

1. 1.

• Yes add it!
    • No don't add it!

Snowpunk said what I was thinking, Inverts, Mandarins, Gobies, Grammas, Sand Stars I keep a layer all the way across the tank with shells on one side and thicker level of sand on the other. If you have sand that moves then your current is to strong, use a Kolaria that whips the water instead of a pump that pushes it.

I am thinking that my next tank will have a DSB and I will make my display appear to have sand but it actually wont. Keyword here is "thinking" I do like sand and if I were you with sand already in part of it and the ability to house previously listed inverts and fish, I would add the sand to the remiander of the tank....it would look really nice...IMO

I am thinking that my next tank will have a DSB and I will make my display appear to have sand but it actually wont. Keyword here is "thinking" I do like sand and if I were you with sand already in part of it and the ability to house previously listed inverts and fish' date=' I would add the sand to the remiander of the tank....it would look really nice...IMO[/quote']

Do your homework on DSB-lots to read and points pro and con.

I voted sand, but I would not go more than 1 inch maybe slghtly less-I did this in a 20 gallon, and went 2-3 inches in my display. I wish I would have gone the 1/2 to 1 inch route-for no specific reason other than looks and maybe money-mainly looks

I have done both, and had good and bad experiences with both, I would say if you can use sugar sand and keep it maintained go sanded as I like the look better. On the flip side I like the cleanliness of going bare bottom and running a DSB on the side. If you have an extra deep tank consider Remote sand, if its easy to get to I would put in the sand.