Any better options than Vortech?

huskerduck

Geting ready to get a wavemaker and it appears the Vortech mp40 does the best job of mimicing a real wave. A couple concerns though, first does it change into night mode or do you do this manually? does the MP10 work with same controller you get with the MP40? Does just one Vortech work or does it take multiple?

Is there any wavemaker thats programmable to change throughout the day like the real McCoy or does Vortech actually do this?

How close to spilling over the top do they get, how many inches of water to rim do they need to make the agressive waves?

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech-mp40w/

Here is the link to echo techs info page for the mp-40. I have the mp-10 on my tank and I love it. The random flow it provides is awesome. I have mine set at about half speed on the reef crest mode and I don't have any dead spots in my ap24....even in and around the rockwork.

I won't use any other pump now that I have used a vortech.

I loved the Tunze 6055s I used to have. I used the Neptune Aquasurf module for my ACjr to control them, though I hear that the new USB-based Tunze multicontroller works well too. I had two 6055s (one in each corner of the tank) doing the resonant wave (alternating each .8 seconds) and a third towards the middle of the tank with an off-frequency pulse.

I could easily get a 2" wave, though that was too much for my taste and tended to interfere with the overflow.

Both Tunze and Ecotech have good customer service. My experiences with Tunze have been fantastic. From what I've heard, Ecotech still has some problems with the wet side of the Vortech... they take good care of the people with the problem, but it doesn't help your tank if your main flow pump is down no matter how nice you're being treated.

IMO, the Vortech is a Jaguar -- beautiful & fun but in the shop too much. Tunzes are BMWs -- not as sexy but solid and reliable. YMMV.

I loved the Tunze 6055s I used to have. I used the Neptune Aquasurf module for my ACjr to control them, though I hear that the new USB-based Tunze multicontroller works well too. I had two 6055s (one in each corner of the tank) doing the resonant wave (alternating each .8 seconds) and a third towards the middle of the tank with an off-frequency pulse.

I could easily get a 2" wave, though that was too much for my taste and tended to interfere with the overflow.

Both Tunze and Ecotech have good customer service. My experiences with Tunze have been fantastic. From what I've heard, Ecotech still has some problems with the wet side of the Vortech... they take good care of the people with the problem, but it doesn't help your tank if your main flow pump is down no matter how nice you're being treated.

IMO, the Vortech is a Jaguar -- beautiful & fun but in the shop too much. Tunzes are BMWs -- not as sexy but solid and reliable. YMMV.

I noticed you said USED to have, what do you use now?

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech-mp40w/

Here is the link to echo techs info page for the mp-40. I have the mp-10 on my tank and I love it. The random flow it provides is awesome. I have mine set at about half speed on the reef crest mode and I don't have any dead spots in my ap24....even in and around the rockwork.

I won't use any other pump now that I have used a vortech.

Im just concerned with the "wet side" of these units as Andy stated, it would really stink to have a week or two of downside but I guess you just get a spare wetside for when it goes bad

I'm using Koralias now. When I bought the Tunzes, I was planning a tank upgrade. With the economic slowdown and kids looking towards college, that upgrade fizzled away and it didn't make sense to have almost a thousand dollars worth of pumps in my 55gal aquarium so I sold them.

I have only used Tunze pumps so I can only comment on those but I have heard great things about the Vortechs. I have used the 6100, 6201 in the past and now i use the 6055 in my tank. The only problem with the 6100 and 6201 are they large and take up a lot of space. I like the 6055 because of the magnet holder design and all the directions you can point the pump.

I also had a Tunze wavebox a few years back and it takes up a lot of space so unless you have a lot of extra/spare space in your tank i wouldn't recommend one of them.

They have changed all the pumps they make to the 6055 design so I would look into getting a couple 6105's or 6205's and a controller if you are worried about the vortech wet side. link below to info on a 6105.

http://www.fishsupply.com/spp-tz6105.html

I have only used Tunze pumps so I can only comment on those but I have heard great things about the Vortechs. I have used the 6100, 6201 in the past and now i use the 6055 in my tank. The only problem with the 6100 and 6201 are they large and take up a lot of space. I like the 6055 because of the magnet holder design and all the directions you can point the pump.

I also had a Tunze wavebox a few years back and it takes up a lot of space so unless you have a lot of extra/spare space in your tank i wouldn't recommend one of them.

They have changed all the pumps they make to the 6055 design so I would look into getting a couple 6105's or 6205's and a controller if you are worried about the vortech wet side. link below to info on a 6105.

http://www.fishsupply.com/spp-tz6105.html

Im guessing that little black box is the wave controller, or do you need the $389 to adjust waves?

Im guessing that little black box is the wave controller' date=' or do you need the $389 to adjust waves?[/quote']

no you would also need a controller like 7096. That's another $165 and the link is below for more info. I use a 7095 which is the older generation controller cause they didn't have the 7096 when I bought a controller. looks like you could get (2) 6105's and a 7096 controller for around $815 or (2) Mp-40 for a little more, not sure if you also need a controller for the (2) vortechs? I just priced everything at aquacave.com.

http://www.aquacave.com/tunze-7096-turbelle-multicontroller-2574.html

Are you looking for a real wave action or just flow? If you want the wave then go with a Wavebox. Check out SWF front tank it has one installed but I am not a fan of the wavebox. The wave you will gett with the Vortech is a little differant. But I love the reefcrest mode on the Vortech as it changes the flow all the time from almost nothing to alot. And as for the Vortechs its like Ron Popiel (not Jordan either(naughty)) says set it and forget it:D I have been using a 20 for a year or so and love the thing.

Yeah this is a tough one considering the amount of green involved.

The Vortech appears as though it does the job single handedly, you only need one and it has a very wide dispersion according to its users. bad thing is it seems its a 50/50 chance the wetsides going to have to be sent in meaning you need a wetside spare for $68 so this is basically $500

The Tunze ( 6105) looks very appealing but after reading thier manuals for their controller (7096) it seems you need a minimum of 2 to achieve 1 mode simulation and additional pumps up to 4 to achieve all of its capabilities. Im not seeing where you can achieve a Vortech type wave with a single Tunze. The controller for the tunze appears to be more programmable with night cycles and such. Hmmm

Does anyone know if the Vortech wireless control can be hooked up to a timer and save its settings, Im just afraid you have to readjust if you had it off at night.

If the Vortech Wireless driver holds its settings, you could get two and do some good stuff with a day/night timer where the power is on one driver, then switches over to the other at night and you could have them overlap for a couple minutes and achieve a good tank cleaning twice a day as well. It would be the same price as a Tunze with 2 pumps and controller, around $840

Went with the Vortech mp40w, got a great deal with free 2 day so I will see if it works as advertised. I didnt realise they had an automatic night-mode built in and once I called them and got their 1 hour sales job, I couldnt resist.

Supposedly they gave all the controller manufacturers developtment kits and so are aggressively pursuing the further control of these pumps. Supposedly you will be able to use all modes throughout the day, or any combination as well as dial in the pulse modes.

Its pretty amazing, it may be the one thing I have purchased where I saw instant results. Infact I saw things Ive never seen before, every softie in the tank grew to almost scary sizes within 5 minutes of running it and playing with it for 2 straight hours.

To be completely amazing I would think I need one at each end, while theres still movement and can still make a 1" wave, I think 6' is just beyond its power.

Then again, theres current, it just a weird current but the undertow on these things is something I still dont understand but it covers the entire tank and starts heading upwards at around the midpoint pulling everything in the tank out of every crevice. It made a considerable mess sucking clean the whole tank.

Its too powerfull right above and in front because the overflow and foam back, I need to find what likes really aggresive current and strap it down in that area. I would compare the flow to grabbing a dinner plater sticking it in the tank and sweeping it half way across.