Made a foam frag holder/backing for 155 Bowfront

huskerduck

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How were the fumes? Could my students do this in class? I have a nano cube we could try it on. I would have them wear gloves.
There may have been fumes but I didnt notice any headache or dizziness and was in a confined space ( Hotwater heater room under stairs incase I exploded a can, or dripped it all over)

I would spread out some wax paper incase someone goes nuts and lets the foam rip, it comes out very fast and large if you dont watch it. Different pressures on the trigger make slightly different sized beads along with rate of moving the bead along the eggcrate.

If you have a small oscillating fan and a large room I doubt kids would get too high off the fumes! Just kidding, maybe do it outside on a nice day if concerned.

So what brands specifically would you guys use? And how long after spraying the stuff do you have until it cant be 'shaped' any more?
I used Beckett Pond Foam ( its blackish and some guy on reefcentral had it in his tank for 2 years with no degredation)

Usually after about 5-10 minutes you can lightly touch it and see if its "skinned" then lightly start to squeeze and keep squeezing if it isnt oozing out. Im impatient and got it all over me because I was trying to do too much fast. Once you get wet stuff on your hands it sticks to everything but water seems to harden it fast so just rinse hands if it gets on you.

There is a point of no return, Im betting its a 1/2 hour

I squeezed quite a few paper thin "plates" everywhere and an hour later they were 1/8" thick, as you squeeze it flat, sometimes twist it in the middle, push it up, maybe down, just be very random and let some very small beads just dry naturally, they look like tube worms

Thanks for the info. This was a cool thread.
yeah if you decide to try this with a classroom maybe we could hook up or I could help out so you dont waste alot of money on foam, I wish I could have watched myself towards the end before I started..........probably would hav saved $26 and had clean hands, legs, toes, Hotwater heater room floor

so if my panel is gonna be 12x36' date=' say 4 cans?[/quote']Yeah, you can always take one back.

Start really slow, make some shorter lines almost like a 2D tree branch towards the bottom, wait 10 minutes and test for skinned over then start manipulating it gentaly untill you get the hang of it..........3 cans with some left over Im guessing

At first I left the eggcrate shelves foamless and sort of wished I had kept it that way, I have strong current and the shelves are slightly slippery.

that or rub some sand on them, Im going to glue spikes on my frag bottoms if they blow off any more. I think theyre all staying as of now though

I have seen this done when people used a resin and painted it over the wall. Then put sand on top to make it look natural.
Yep, seen a couple that looked amazing, at first, then the cyno outbreak or algae explosion happens and youre stuck with a month of brown splotchy wall or algae that just cant be gotten rid of with ease while it smothers your frags and figured what the heck, Ill go for a couple shots of Purple up and hopefully bypass straight to coralline. Its worked before on smoother blackish surfaces almost like a magnet.

With sand or rock its a 50-50 chance the corallines will pop fast, I seeded areas with some busted rock, hope it works