Is there such a thing as reliable?

nwcoralfarm

I had one of my Finnex titanium heaters go out on me last week. around 1 month after the warranty expired (6 months). Now I am back to shopping for a new one.

My question is this, does anyone know of an actually reliable heater that you can get more then 1 year out of? It seems that as soon as you step up to 800+ watts that the quality drops right through the floor.

What's your experience?

I have a Won Bros. titanium that I have been running daily since 2002 without any problems.

I had a Finnex titanium last me almost a year before it stopped heating. At least the thermostat on it didn't stick and overheat the tank! I have also had to return a couple of ViaAqua titanium heaters.

If you truly want something reliable, go with a high quality heater controller. I would probably go with something like http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-true-temp.html that has a separate temperature probe.

I saw this posted on the WA DC MAS forum:

straight titanium heating element, ranco controller, emergency cut off of the controller with my AquaController.

Thats how I did it. The Ranco could hold my temp easily within 0.5 degrees, I didn't have to worry about the crummy thermostats that they put on heaters, and I had a fail safe in case my Ranco went south.

Yah... might be overkill but that is how I roll in this hobby! I was lucky enough to stumble upon the two fireplugs off of steves old tank and picked them up for a steal at $65 I think for the pair! (Thank you Patrick!) The last time I saw these sell used they were going for 1-200 each!