Do you circulate your ATO reservoir?

vanz

I don't on my 40g, but am thinking about doing it on my 125g. Now I don't want to use two pumps just for the ato, so I'm trying to see if I can do it with just the feed pump. This means the water will circulate only when the ato kicks on.

So here's my plan. Have a two way hose splitter with individual valves and adjust it so that it blows more water in the reservoir than to the sump, this will give it a good few minutes of circulation each time it kicks on.

I will use something like this to avoid metal parts:

two-way-tap-connector.jpg

Anyone else doing something similar? Think it's a good idea? Or should I just get two pumps?

Keep in mind the hidden parts in something like that could be metal. In particular I see metal screws on that one. I would just use PCV and then put a T in it with one smaller outlet. Have the feed into the sump be from the side that is smaller, that way it will still push some water to the sump however most will recirculate.

I don't circulate my auto top off water at all. Never have really. If your going to be dripping kalk through it, I would, if not, don't worry about it IMO.

If you do want to do it, I would not use that thing. Both my ATO pumps uses airline tubing. I would get a splitter for the tubing, and then a valve for the one in the resivoir and try that first. Might cost you $3. I'm not sure if that is going to be enough water movement for you though.

If you want a lot of movement I would use a MJ or something that can do on off with no worries and moves a bit of water.

All of that said, unless I was going to be dripping kalk I really see no benefit. Not saying there is not one, just that I don't know it.

HTH

I don't circulate my auto top off water at all. Never have really. If your going to be dripping kalk through it, I would, if not, don't worry about it IMO.

If you do want to do it, I would not use that thing. Both my ATO pumps uses airline tubing. I would get a splitter for the tubing, and then a valve for the one in the resivoir and try that first. Might cost you $3. I'm not sure if that is going to be enough water movement for you though.

If you want a lot of movement I would use a MJ or something that can do on off with no worries and moves a bit of water.

All of that said, unless I was going to be dripping kalk I really see no benefit. Not saying there is not one, just that I don't know it.

HTH

yeah, I was going to use a mj for my top off pump and do want a good flow through it.

Am I alone in this? I'll have to research this since no one here does it lol.

Are you using RO/DI water? If so then I don't think you should be getting any slime unless the topoff tank is already dirty. If you are then I would check to be sure the water filters are still good.

Yup using RODI, yeah i think they are about due to be changed. But even pure water can be stagnant with all the impurities in the air right?

Yup using RODI' date=' yeah i think they are about due to be changed. But even pure water can be stagnant with all the impurities in the air right?[/quote']

It's possible that impurities could settle into the water from the air but I think it would take awhile to be enough to cause the water to stagnate.

What about covering the ATO?

I do cover the ato, but it's not sealed for the tube and wire.

From googling a bit, someone else is having the same issue:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/38544-storing-ro-di-water-should-you-keep-water-movment.html

I also learned from browsing that you don't even need to circulate your salt mix, only for the first 24 hours and then before you use it. So you can store that for a month or so and then aerate just before you use it. I guess it's just to dissolve the salt and remove co2....i think..

My last ATO was in use for 3 years and the day I took it down it looked like the day I put it up. I never once cleaned it. It wasnt completly sealed. had a 2 inch holein the top for air transfer and water in. Have ya conciderd that there may be a back folw issue? tank water syphining back into the line?

no back flow as the output doesn't touch water. Did you have a pump inside or did you use an aqualifter? BTW, it has only ever had RODI water inside, and the pump is an eheim if that matters.

Eric, I dunno, but some say it never goes bad, just need to aerate it before you use it.

I think it takes half a gallon a day and it's about 5 gallons. I'll see how long it takes to slime up again. I cleaned it maybe 2 months ago and right now it appears to be fine. That's the first time I cleaned it since setting it up 2-3 years ago.

3 gallons?? Wow, how big was your tank?

My 85 gallon went through 3 gallons a day with the 175w MH fixture inside the canopy over it. When I switched to the 400w with fans exhausting the heat it dropped by about 1/2 gallon a day. Now with the lights completely open (No hood) I only evaporate 5 gallons every two days but my water volume is also about 190g.