Lighting Question-Your opinions please

Byrd

So I know that most of the LFS that sell corals are using 20K bulbs, mostly in the 400 MH range.

I have read that the 20K give you the best color but have also read that the lower K bulbs get better growth.

I have a pair of brand hew 15K bulbs that came with my fixture but replaced them with 20K bulbs as I always have done. I did this because when speaking with Soutas, Upscales, etc.. they are using 20K and said 20K would be "best"

Like I mentioned I have read this countless times as well, it seems the consensus is to go 20K-some also because its more blue with that spectrum and more pleasing to the eye it makes the coral's color "pop".

Well I have 4-65 watt PC actinic bulbs in addition to the dual 250 DE MH bulbs so making them "pop" wont be an issue-LOL. With the actinics on and using the 15K-the tank looks great, not yellow at all or what I have seen if I was only running the MH w/ 15K.

SO my question.....

What will be better for growth-that straight forward, not what would I like, but what will give my corals the best and fastest growth?

Thanks to anyone who chimes in.

Best and fastest growth will be at the 6500K range, really yellow and not good looking at all! In general, 15K will get better growth than 20K but there are other factors that play into it....some 20K bulb/ballast put out more par than 15K bulbs.

I used 10k ushio for years and had the best growth from those but they were very yellow even with actinic 72" VHO's. I also bought 20k on the same advice but have not had the same growth, they are very "bright" white/blue. I just bought Hamilton 14k 400's but have not put them in yet, I did test them and I like the color a little better. Since I have 175 and 400MH I might try going back to 10k on the 400 and 20 on the 175's to see what the balance in color might be, I still have all my old bulbs so I can play around a little.

I have DE 250's and have tried quite a few different bulbs. My favorite was what I got this last time from Jody, they are the 250w Icecap 20k's running on EVC electronic ballasts. Ive tried the Phoenix 14k's and a few other 14k and some other brand of 10k that escapes me now. It really is going to depend on your ballast, since they will drive the bulbs differently and you will get different coloration out of them.

Best and fastest growth will be at the 6500K range' date=' really yellow and not good looking at all! In general, 15K will get better growth than 20K but there are other factors that play into it....some 20K bulb/ballast put out more par than 15K bulbs.[/quote']

My par readings with the 15K bulbs are twice the value I get with the 20K

Thanks folks, that just reconfirmed what I had thought. I will have to use the egg crate I have to defuse? the intenesity from switching to the 15K, since they put out twice the par levels- I dont want to fry anything..

Safe to assume that may happen if I dont-not certain, but rather safe than sorry.

Thanks again

Brad

Could you explain? are you going off a chart or do you have a meter' date=' I would lovre to find a meter in the area to borrow/rent or?[/quote']

Going off of a meter. Patrick at Saltwater Fantaseas loaned me his, and I kid you not the values were doulble.

With the 20K at my sand the readings were 200-210 with the 15K 400-420

and 800+ at 3 inches below my water line with the 15K-3 inches below at that time it was my highest acro.

Thanks folks, that just reconfirmed what I had thought. I will have to use the egg crate I have to defuse? the intenesity from switching to the 15K, since they put out twice the par levels- I dont want to fry anything..

Safe to assume that may happen if I dont-not certain, but rather safe than sorry.

Thanks again

Brad

Careful with the eggcrate. You may find it actually increases the light. I haven't tried the white but with the chrome over my tank the light is brighter and deeper underneath it than the center which is open.

Going off of a meter. Patrick at Saltwater Fantaseas loaned me his, and I kid you not the values were doulble.

With the 20K at my sand the readings were 200-210 with the 15K 400-420

and 800+ at 3 inches below my water line with the 15K-3 inches below at that time it was my highest acro.

Thanks alot I'll contact him, I want to do the same my 20k's are about due. I would like to test a few different combinations with the 175 and 400, some of my older bulbs were taken out at 6-8 months so they should still be good

Brad' date=' what are the brands of the bulbs you tested and how old are they?[/quote']

Well the bulbs that came with my fixture (being I dont pay for "name brands"-at least anymore) are Odyssea, the bulbs I replaced them with are Plusrite.

Both bulbs were a week old when I tested them.

I had had bought Blue Life SPS bulbs at 68.00 a bulb and did a side by side comparison with them and the Plusrite bulbs, I could not see a difference with the naked eye and the par meter had nearly zero difference in output.

So I decided for 140.00 for 2 bulbs versus 48.00 dollar for 2 bulbs and I cant see an difference and the meter cant show me a difference- Well I dont do name brands.

I was involved in a thread on R2R I think maybe RC. It was at least 18 pages and had found folks using those exact brand bulbs (Plusrite) and had been for years with the same findings and positive reults. There were people who had compared them to other name brand bulbs to same findings. I can provide a link to the seller if you are interested

Granted I was not there for those tests but have to believe them since I myself had the same findings.

As an example of why I dont buy the name brands, here is my current fixture;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290335616672&ssPageName=STRK:MEBDIX:IT

Granted 14 day exchange so you take a slight gamble, but not actually because everything I buy I make sure to use a credit card (payit off of course) so I have my credit card co. support.

Anyway the same fixture buying a name brand could be anywhere from 1200 -4000 I found.

I have bought my last 4 fixtures from these guys and would do it all over again.

Sorry for the long reply to a simple question, but there are those that would have read a short answer and then explain to me why the no name bulbs can be junk-I saved a few posts-LOL