Ponds

undrtkr_00

So, after putting together 2 reef tanks, I decided I don't have enough water in my life!! I'm installing a pond in my front yard. I'll be using a flexible rubber liner, and will have a waterfall and stream (about 15-20' long). Total volume will be several hundred gallons, and I'm planning to have mostly plants with just a few fish.

Anyone here have experience keeping ponds and want to pass on some wisdom?

Only thing to take pics of at this point is a bare spot in the lawn where I have taken the sod off. I hoped to be further along at this point in time, but got a major kink in my neck that is keeping me from doing anything physical. Hopefully I'll feel better this weekend and get most of the digging done.

Once things progress a little further, I'll be happy to post some pics.

Did any of you with ponds find a really helpful forum like this one? I've searched around and found a few, but not too many.

• 2 months later...

More progress...

DSCN2516.jpg

DSCN2520.jpg

You can see the shelf along the outer edge of the pond. It is about 12-14" from the surface, and will be where I place a number of pond plants.

The deepest part is about 3'. It will be about 1,000 gallons total, and deep enough for a few koi if I decide to go that route. At this point, I am only planning to have a few small goldfish and lots of plants.

Heres the pond I built for my parents. Its as maintenance free as it gets...feed the fish, and ad top off water. Thats it!

For filitration, I used a blue 50g barrel filled with filter material. Water is pumped to the bottom of the barrel, fills the barrel, goes through the filter material, then overflows to the top of the water fall. The filter setup uses biological filtation to break down waist. Its been running with out ANY maintenace for over 5 years.

It also helps to have lots of shade over the pond to cut down on algae growth.

3682776841_d9ff7ce7ae.jpg?v=0

3683603918_91b727979a.jpg?v=0

3682777157_77712ef2e5.jpg?v=0

3682777491_cdf022bdfa.jpg?v=0

3682777783_21d9440e12.jpg?v=0

3682778205_4eb38a7108.jpg?v=0

3683591762_e4f9aa3e37.jpg?v=0

3682778791_d333fe4ec2.jpg?v=0

I never really figured it out, I always assumed roughly 350-400 gallons. I made it REALLY deep to help give the fish a chance against racoons and cats.

The last pond I made for them was too shallow and we lost a lot of fish to animals. No fish lost in this pond yet...

The koi were added at just a couple inches long. Now they're 14" to 16" long, and VERY fat!

Looks nice. What's the total volume there?

Looking forward to the time when the plants are all grown in and the pond liner, etc aren't too visible.

Very nice! I would love to add a pond to my backyard but since I rent and am hoping to have my oun house by the end of 2010 I would be wasting my time. You said ya have the water flowing up through the barrel, what is keeping the media in the barrel as the water overflows out of it?

• 3 months later...

I highly recommend posting a no trespassing sign. it will provide a little liability protection should someone accidentally drown in that thing (since it is in the front yard) you will also want to protect your fish from the birds. i have a few recommendations and the pond shop next to my fish shop will also have some good advice.

looks really nice!

I think the grass/sedge in the pond is in a pot, which will make it easy to remove in the late fall.

Brian- it looks good. I like the landscaping around the pond. Last time I saw it there was only landscape fabric around it.

dsoz