Just great, backup pump failed

vanz

A pump I was going to use temporarily on my new tank broke or was broke for a while now. It worked the last time I ran it, which was probably over a month ago. It was a gen x2400. I plugged it in to do a test run and it never powered on. Opened it up to try and and get the impeller out. No dice. [language filter] thing wouldn't budge. Magnet probably cracked and swelled up.

Oh well, I had another pump to use in the mean time. It was a brand new hydor seltz. I wasn't going to use it long term, just enough to get water from the sump back into the display (I was still doing test runs). Plugged the pump in and it was working great. I then unplugged it and moved it to the other side of the baffle to get more water up. Not sure what I did, but the pump made a loud grinding noise and couldn't even pump water up 2 ft. Unplugged it again thinking it was just a fluke, but it went at it again. Opened it up to check on the impeller, and it looks a little crooked. Tried straightening it out, but it's still jacked up. (flame)

This sucks. Now I have to manually move the water up from the sump.

Soak it in a vinager bath and then plug it in. I had one that was in similar shape. After about 5 mins. of soaking I plugged it in. About 5 mins later it fired up and worked fine. Mine was a GenX 4100 that sat dry for awhile. I'd give it a shot

Just do leave the bucket you are soaking it in. And do it outside!

I have a GenX 4100 that's almost new I'm putting up for sale in the next day or so if interested.

Thanks, but if I get another pump, I'm straying away from gen x though.

Soak it in a vinager bath and then plug it in. I had one that was in similar shape. After about 5 mins. of soaking I plugged it in. About 5 mins later it fired up and worked fine. Mine was a GenX 4100 that sat dry for awhile. I'd give it a shot

Just do leave the bucket you are soaking it in. And do it outside!

I've soaked it like you suggested, but the impeller is still stuck. I haven't tried plugging it in though.

I have extra pumps. Let me know if you need to borrow one for awhile. They are my back ups so no worries if you need one for awhile (I have a couple ;) )

LMK

Hey Kevin, I think I might take you up on that offer. Sending pm!(clap)