overflow box, use both holes as drain?

vanz

So I have a 1" and 1/2" hole in my overflow box. I don't think I'll be using the 1/2" hole for a return. Should I modify them to use as drains or should I just cap off the 1/2" hole and take my chances on one drain?

I'd really want to be able to do the herbie style, but not sure if 1/2" can be used as a backup. What would you do?

My tank has the same setup. i used both as drains i placed one a little bit higher to act as a secondary drain incase the primary failed. Also since im paranoid about flooding i also installed a bulkhead inside my tank above the water line to act as a third 'just incase' overflow

DOH! [language filter] should have thought about a third hole on the side. too late now, water filled and the back is facing the wall with no clearance for a drill.

If there is room to drill it out to 1" then you can use it to do a herbie setup. Since the second hole is a backup it just needs to be above the normal water level. No valves or anything are necessary or even desired.

This would be the best option right now if it wasn't for the 1/2" hole being really close to the corner.

So I guess I'll have to use the 1/2 as a drain. Hopefully if something does get clogged, it doesn't clog the main drain completely and the 1/2" will be enough to prevent any floods.

Thanks guys!

If your not going to use it for something else a back up drain could be cool. You could even use it to run a redirculating skimmer, or phosphate reactor. One of my homies has his lower so he can use it as an easy water change hose, just cap the end with a ball valve, no need to start a syphon.

If you put a good strainer on the main drain there is little chance of it getting clogged, although I did have a drain get clogged with bubble algae . . . glad I had a back up :D

JMO

You could always glue a piece of acrylic over it and drill another hole if there is room somewhere.

the overflow box is pretty small, here's a picture. I tried putting another bulkhead face down and it didn't fit in the available area.

overflow_box.jpg

If your not going to use it for something else a back up drain could be cool. You could even use it to run a redirculating skimmer, or phosphate reactor. One of my homies has his lower so he can use it as an easy water change hose, just cap the end with a ball valve, no need to start a syphon.

If you put a good strainer on the main drain there is little chance of it getting clogged, although I did have a drain get clogged with bubble algae . . . glad I had a back up :D

JMO

Phosphate reactor, great idea! Good thing you had a backup, so that's probably the best way to go. Thanks for mentioning the reactor, it totally slipped my mind on the build. I'll have to incorporate that in somehow, maybe through the entrance of the refugium.

Just a thought. Run the half inch as a syphon ( below the the 1 inch pipe level) with a cheap ball valve. adjust the valve to keep the water level just barely using the 1 inch ( a tiny tricle) as a open drain / emergency full pipe back up. I use a one inch syphon on my 250 with two 1.5 inch open pipes and have a tricle in one and the other dry except as an emergency. My return pump is is 1800 gph and my system runs silent. jr

Just a thought. Run the half inch as a syphon ( below the the 1 inch pipe level) with a cheap ball valve. adjust the valve to keep the water level just barely using the 1 inch ( a tiny tricle) as a open drain / emergency full pipe back up. I use a one inch syphon on my 250 with two 1.5 inch open pipes and have a tricle in one and the other dry except as an emergency. My return pump is is 1800 gph and my system runs silent. jr

What you are describing is the herbie method. I don't think the 1/2" will suffice as the siphon though. I wonder how you were able to achieve that with the 1800 gph pump on a 600 gph drain?

I ended up using the 1" as the siphon and the half inch as the backup.

What you are describing is the herbie method. I don't think the 1/2" will suffice as the siphon though. I wonder how you were able to achieve that with the 1800 gph pump on a 600 gph drain?

I ended up using the 1" as the siphon and the half inch as the backup.

If they are full syphon then they are gonna pull a ton more water then just a drain pipe would.

I agree I would at least give it a try, If the 1/2" cant handle all the flow even without a ball valve the 1" will take over. i would put the ball valve on (the 1/2") anyway you may be surprised and if it does work you can adjust the water level for the 1" for a really quiet set up