What are These Bubbles???

wanareef

I have tried the emerald crabs without success. How in the world do you sex the crabs. Males bigger or is the belly plate you look at.

In my exp those bubbles will release cells to make more bubble algae but its not been a problem in my tank in years. I have some green bubble algae.....so what...no problem here.

My 2cents :P

Jay

Male emeralds will eat it.

:)

Garrett

That's what I heard also but when they eat it, it is popped and then it can potentially spread more because of it. Best to pluck them when they are very dark green as they are much more firm. I like to think of them as a tomato, it is firm until it has ripened, but in this case you don't want to let them ripen. If they do the odds of it popping are much greater...

I personally havn't had issues once they have popped. Any new small ones that form are very quickly consumed by the emeralds until they are entirely eradicated.

The males have very large claws and grow a bit larger than the females do. It's defiantely worth tossing a couple in there even after you have removed what you can of the bubble algae.

Garrett

Males have a long, skinny "plate" in the center on their underside, while the females have a broad plate. I think the females store their eggs beneath the large plate.

This is for a difference species of crab, but the principle still applies:

http://www.lpsteamers.com/sex.html

I have never heard of dietary differences between sexes of crabs. Where did you hear about this?