anenome ?

Beckie

It's not too common to find one that is dyed now days. I have seen a couple but for the most part around these parts I have only seen naturally brightly colored anemones. In the late 90's and even early 00's it was more common to find dyed anemones but as of late I don't think I have even seen one.

Also, it is sort of still up in the air as to how unhealthy it is. I wouldn't ever buy one but I have heard that it really doesn't harm them and they loose the color over time.

Garrett

I've seen a couple that I suspected. More often though I see unhealthy ones that look spectacular. Unfortunately several corals in an unhealthy state have very appealing colors (White, bright light green, bright pink for BTA's or for GSP a super bright neon green with a pale mat for instance) I steer clear of pale or white colored specimens and instead look for rich deep natural colors. I fell into this trap awhile back (now I know better) and lost 2 anemone's because of it, the first because it was unhealthy (A pale translucent color with white tips) and the second (I believe) because the first released chemicals into the water column when it died.

So a bright pick almost florescent could be sick? Mosty sick? An uncommon find? Wow now I'm really unsure.

Beckie

I couldn't find anything to indicate this would be a natural color for anemone's. From what I understand it is an indication that a good portion of the Zooxanthellae have been expelled which means it will rely heavily on direct feeding to stay alive(provided it will eat). If you took the same color and doubled or tripled the intensity you would end up with a bright or richly colored red which I believe is the natural color for these. I'm far from an expert though so I could be wrong. (I know there are one or two members here with light colored anemones that have survived for quite awhile) In the case of the GSP mentioned above I know it for certain as I have one that is recovering from the recent heat wave that looks spectacular (super bright neon green) but I know it is only partially recovered and will turn a dark rich green with neon highlights when it is healthy again. I have a fungia(plate coral) that is a similar example. It was white with a purple border and mouth when I got it. Once the Zooxanthellae returned the white became a dark tan color (The purple border and mouth have remained). It also acts healthier (cleans itself by expanding, responds faster when food is near it, and even eats faster).

Only buy anemones that look healthy. If you have any doubt, look at successful tanks with anemones and look for ones that look like that.

Better yet, only buy clones that are tank raised that way the anemones that are still in the ocean stay there.

There are several people that are raising anemones on this site. If you are looking to buy one, put up a WTB in the classifieds, and you will get several people trying to sell you one (including me).

dsoz