Interesting read on Reef Central

Lowman

Wow, yeah I use one of these to mix up my water and for storing topoff. Now what are we supposed to do? What would really be helpful as an addition to this would be some kind of listing or ID of plastics/materials that should be safe. Otherwise, there are many, many kinds of materials that could be dangerous, but we don't have a good way to test them.

"Basically, the plasticizers in the trash can are highly highly toxic to sperm."

I think we may have just found another use for the already multifunctional brute trash can, the wife may be dubious though...

Nice one Ryan, that is bad. I will continue to use mine.

Out of all the guys in the reefing world the one I am least impressed with his professional knowledge is Borneman so I will wait and see :) I think everyone remembers the most "inconclusive" salt study speech I have ever heard about 2 years ago :)

Great find Bob!

I am of the mentality when it comes to this issue of "If it isn't broken, then don't fix it'" That being said, I still would rather have most everything be made of glass. I just like the look. I think it would be a bit hard to replace most of our water repelant plastic devises. It would be pretty sweet to have a nice all glass cone skimmer with an all glass pump and all glass air tubes :)

I think we have been just fine with plastics thus far. 3 of my sumps are made of a rigid spun plastic and they are awesome. Though my corals don't spawn that often and when they do I have never really had great success raising them (whistle);)

Garrett

I use the "food Grade" 55 gal. Blue drums that they ship pastry fillers in. It's kinda funny. I keep the waste water in 4 of them to water the yard. No reason not to use all ya can!!! I have mosquitos breeding in them, so i add bleach on occasion. The funny part is I never really had that issue with the brutes!!!! And didn't notice till I started using the drums. Kinda makes me wonder(scratch)

I use the "food Grade" 55 gal. Blue drums that they ship pastry fillers in. It's kinda funny. I keep the waste water in 4 of them to water the yard. No reason not to use all ya can!!! I have mosquitos breeding in them' date=' so i add bleach on occasion. The funny part is I never really had that issue with the brutes!!!! And didn't notice till I started using the drums. Kinda makes me wonder(scratch)[/quote']

Blaine, that is a curious observation. Kind of backs up what Bourneman said in his article.