Zoa question

reef165

I have never paid any attention to zoas they just wernt my thing but Im really starting to enjoy them and am going to get in on the grow out comp but I was thinkinmg, I know nothing about the husbandry of these. Is 250 watt to much(scratch) what kind of flow(scratch) what do you feed them(scratch)

Thank's

PNWMAS Rocks (rock2)

They tend to do better under "dirty" tank conditions, but will do well under nutrient poor conditions as well.

I have seen some zoas actually ingest small food particles, so feeding is not unheard of, but it is not a normal thing either.

They can do well under low light, or high light. Low flow or high flow. When they grow well, they can take over. But then they can also just melt away for "no reason."

Good luck, and I hope that you find some zoas that you enjoy. If you want some that I have, I will sell most of them for $1/polyp

dsoz

I have zoas in various places in my tank...some low light and some medium and I have a 250w halide over it with t5's as well. Low flow, high flow...doesn't really seem to matter. What seems to matter the most is that once you find somewhere you like them that they stay put - it seems that moving around my corals slow growth. I feed the whole tank oyster eggs and rod's food 1-2x per week.

.....What seems to matter the most is that once you find somewhere you like them that they stay put - it seems that moving around my corals slow growth.

My experience is the same with most of the Zoas. A couple of the ones I have seem to do fine regardless of how much they are moved but then I have a couple of others pretty mad at me now for moving them around the new tank.